Grand Prix - "driving at Monaco is like trying to ride a motor
cycle around your sitting room".

Any ideas or sources on this one?

regards

Neil
Old 16 May 2001, 12:06 (Ref:93175)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was Piquet, but I thought he said bicycle rather than motorbike.
Old 16 May 2001, 12:08 (Ref:93177)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with Marshal on both counts
Old 16 May 2001, 12:09 (Ref:93178)   #4
gallop
Rookie

gallop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to Marshal for the correct reply (and
I stand corrected about the exact mode of transport).

regards

Neil
Old 18 May 2001, 05:49 (Ref:93902)   #5
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he said it was like flying a helicopter through your livingroom?? :confused:
Old 18 May 2001, 07:19 (Ref:93907)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty sure it was bicycle
Old 18 May 2001, 07:19 (Ref:93908)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's correct, steve, Piquet once called (in '83 I believe) driving at Monaco is like 'flying a helicopter through your living-room'.
Old 18 May 2001, 07:21 (Ref:93909)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dino IV
That's correct, steve, Piquet once called (in '83 I believe) driving at Monaco is like 'flying a helicopter through your living-room'.
Guess I am wrong then - I know better than to dispute with Dino IV on a historical matter

Last edited by DNQ; 18 May 2001 at 07:22.
Old 18 May 2001, 08:28 (Ref:93920)   #9
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehe, not with me, but with Heinz Prueller.
I got only 1 season review book (poor me ) and that's from 1983 and I recall that quote being mentioned there.
Old 18 May 2001, 09:29 (Ref:93945)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So who said "*$%^&*" Senna, (*&^%$£ tyres, &*() Monaco bloody second".
Old 18 May 2001, 10:32 (Ref:93959)   #11
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dino IV
Hehe, not with me, but with Heinz Prueller.
I got only 1 season review book (poor me ) and that's from 1983 and I recall that quote being mentioned there.
I have to disagree (probably not wise as its Dino, but hey), I'm sure it was bicycle. Unless of course Nelson came up with one first and then thought, hey that's good I'll expand on that
Old 18 May 2001, 11:54 (Ref:93992)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Could he have said? "Like riding a bycycle in a helicopter that's passing through the bedroom window"?
Old 18 May 2001, 13:41 (Ref:94010)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He probably said it in Portuguese and it was translated by that Babelfish program on the Internet, so he may have actually said something like "If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve."

But I've heard about six different permutations of this quote, including all of the above and "Like riding a bicycle around your bathroom" which was said, I believe, by someone other than Piquet.
Old 18 May 2001, 15:54 (Ref:94037)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was really Piquet who said that.

It was indeed in 1983.

He said : "Dirigir em Mônaco é como pilotar um helicóptero na sala de estar."

wich means "Driving in Monaco is like riding a helicopter in the living room."

The misunderstanding was problably due the portuguese press wich native language differs from the brazilian.

Like other : In '86, Piquet used to compliment Mansell with a smile and saying "Oi babaca !", and Mansell always smiled back. At the end of the season Mansell asked some brazilian reporters what was the meaning, and they translated : "Hi a**hole" !
Old 18 May 2001, 18:30 (Ref:94077)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Could he have said? "Like riding a bycycle in a helicopter that's passing through the bedroom window"?
Haaaaaaaaaaa, haaaaaaaaaa, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!