Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Aug 2007, 18:37 (Ref:1992984)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team Rahal back to Champ Car?

http://www.atodamakina.com/atm_news_...s150807-3.html

Silly translation:

Quote:
Communicated by sources of the Champ Car that different Directors from the Rahal Letterman Racing, including a the ex--champion of Cart Bobby Rahal, have had several meetings with the main directors of Champ Car in the last weeks.

The last one of these meetings was carried out this past weekend and it hopes that they can arrive at an adjustment so that the Rahal Letterman Racing can announce its return to the series that saw it be born and is part of the grill of season 2008.

The negotiations include to bring with himself to their main sponsor Ethanol, that is the fuel that at the moment feeds the motors in the IndyCar. Reason why it is possible that the viability is studying to implement a mixture of Metanol (combustible present of the Champ Car) and of Ethanol for season 2008, if it is that the agreement arrives at good aim.

Not yet one knows if the negotiations include to some pilot in special who would occupy the seat of the Ethanol car in the Champ Car. At the moment the car is handled by Ryan Hunter Reay in the IndyCar.

To reach an agreement, Rahal Letterman Racing would retire its equipment of the IRL to enfcar in the Champ Car being given back the blow, now to the IRL, that underwent the Cart in the 2004 when Rahal decided to change its equipment to the IRL.
(Please note I did post most of the article but that is because I felt all of it was important and the link is foreign so the rest can't be read for only English speaking members, if there is a problem please feel free to take out 1 or 2 paragraphs I hope there isn't a problem)
Old 21 Aug 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1993261)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There have been rumors about the whole ethanol/rahal thing since champcar is/may go to E85 next year. What solid basis they have, too early to tell.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 05:27 (Ref:1994241)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I can't decide if this would be good or bad (in the grand scheme of things).
Old 23 Aug 2007, 01:38 (Ref:1994840)   #4
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with dutton,cant decide if this is good or bad idea,if it does happen then i can see some of the other team returning to the series or IRL teams entering CART for the first time.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 02:56 (Ref:1994856)   #5
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see the downsides of this happening, but overall I think that this will be a good thing for Champ Car.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1995076)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It would certainly be good for ChampCar, but would it be good in terms of The Long Game (as it were)?
Old 23 Aug 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1995240)   #7
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
It would certainly be good for ChampCar, but would it be good in terms of The Long Game (as it were)?
Well, we will probably just have to wait to find out.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1996882)   #8
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More teams, new or old, is good. I hope it's true for once. So tired of small grids in such a good DRIVER's series.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1996888)   #9
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone else see bobby at zolder?

seemed very happy along with graham
Old 26 Aug 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1996889)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I think this time he could come back to Champ Car.

Because he has had many meetings with CC officials and from many people they said he was happy. I wonder if he will be at Sonoma tonight for the IRL race.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1999200)   #11
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I heard a rumour about a month ago that Scott Sharp and his backers were in negotiations to buy some of Rahal’s IRL assets

It does seem to make sense
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1999277)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long is the Patron/ Sharp deal for?
Old 30 Aug 2007, 02:38 (Ref:1999771)   #13
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if he does return to the series,would he have his son driving for him in a few years once his contract with NHL is up?.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 03:35 (Ref:1999790)   #14
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the Champ Car race in San Jose I met a person who, let's say, sponsored Bobby's car when he was still a driver. He confirmed that Bobby is taking a serious look at assembling a Champ Car effort for 2008. Also, it appears that the relationship between David Letterman and Rahal is a bit shaky since before Paul Dana's fatal accident at Homestead.

If Rahal does make a comeback to Champ Car as a team owner next year it is unlikely that Graham would drive for his dad before 2009.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 06:34 (Ref:1999820)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the inside word there Muzza. Great to hear there is atleast some substance to the story.

Hopefully this can continue to develop as, oh dear to we need it
Old 30 Aug 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1999865)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes looks like this time he could move back home. I really hope he returns because Champ car needs this like an adrenaline shot, especially a figure such as Bobby Rahal.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1999940)   #17
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Apparently Sharp’s plans with RLR were too move into a management/part owner role after the end of 2008 season

It seems very likely he would do that, he has always said he planned stay in the IRL when he packs up driving and now with this about Rahal possibly leaving it’s an excellent opportunity

Sharp has always carried personal sponsorship in a series where sponsors are hard to find. He took his Delphi sponsorship from Kelley to Fernandez and when they reduced their commitment to the team he got a deal with Patron and took it to Rahal (word was that Delphi are paying Panther about half what they paid Fernandez)

Sharp has the backing and it would not surprise me at all if Rahal jumps ship to the dying Champ Car series to try and boost it and Sharp takes it over at least his own car
Old 30 Aug 2007, 10:53 (Ref:1999953)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Non-threatening, off-the-cuff question:

"Why would Rahal come back to CC at this point? What does he stand to gain?"

I can see selling equipment to Sharp. Scott has always reminded me of his father and without having any direct knowledge of his plans I always presumed he would end up in ownership.

Bobby, on the other hand has a number of things going on aside from the IRL, including his car dealerships. Could an alternative plot ending be that Bobby is divesting some things so that he has the time to follow Graham and does not actually want/need to start a CC operation?

He has been at this a long time and maybe now he wants to be more selective of where he spends his time. I just can't imagine after all he went through in CART's final days and then up until he transitioned to IRL that he would want to go back to a series that is clearly in more trouble than the IRL...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1999978)   #19
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Non-threatening, off-the-cuff question:
Hmmm....not sure such a thing has any place in an internet forum

I think it would be a good move for Champ Car of course. The series needs more seats and that would be one or two at least.

I don't think it would be a particularly bad move for the IRL either except from a publicity point of view, but then again since Graham is in CC it's quite easily dismissed as daddy going to look after the wee one.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:12 (Ref:2000273)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to an item in Monday's Indy Star, Rahal isn't going anywhere in 2008.

It is at the bottom of the "Pit Notes" section.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1052/SPORTS01

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2000276)   #21
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford
Wonder if he does return to the series,would he have his son driving for him in a few years once his contract with NHL is up?.
I think Bobby wants his son at Newman Haas, as the car is so much better than any other CC on the grid. With such a car advantage, Graham is looking pretty good this year, in any other car I would suspect he would be quite forgotten at the back of the grid.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 02:27 (Ref:2000558)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
According to an item in Monday's Indy Star, Rahal isn't going anywhere in 2008.

It is at the bottom of the "Pit Notes" section.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1052/SPORTS01
Nothing like a good denial to add to the story. I can remember Joe Saward once writing, that as soon as theres a denial, there is something to it or why would they be denying it.

Now I am not saying that is the case with this situation but I it does add to the whole rumour.

If Cotman can get CC teams at Indy next season (as per Millers story), ChampCar goes to Ethanol and Rahal wants to be at all his sons events (even if as a competitor) it becomes a whole lot more plausable.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 03:13 (Ref:2000572)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not a Newman/Haas/Lanigan/Rahal ownership group?

If there are additional sponsors procured, then additional cars can be added from the same base.... surely less expensive, and quicker to perform than starting again from scratch?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 31 Aug 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2000721)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint
I think Bobby wants his son at Newman Haas, as the car is so much better than any other CC on the grid. With such a car advantage, Graham is looking pretty good this year, in any other car I would suspect he would be quite forgotten at the back of the grid.
I know that Newman/Haas is the best all round team but Bruno Junquiera struggled in the past few years (after his injury at indy). I think if a driver is good enough he'll win anywhere however I do think Newman/Haas/Lanigan is the best all round team, Bourdais has had no match as a team mate these past few years and I think it was more down to his chemistry with the team and just had that bit more than others and is always consistently there.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 14:17 (Ref:2000874)   #25
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I always hoped Wilson would get the second Newman Haas car as a team mate of Seabass.....I feel Wilson would have stomped all over Seabass in equal equipment....but I am getting off topic I guess.