Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 21 Aug 2007, 00:03 (Ref:1993237)   #1
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
taking your racer to/through Switzerland ?

need to tow the Midget to Monza next month and the better route looks to be via Switzerland - but somebody said they can be difficult at the border and require documentation (carnet?) for the car, does anyone here have any direct knowledge or advice please?
Old 21 Aug 2007, 06:41 (Ref:1993279)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David, you will need a carnet for Switzerland, as they are not within the EU. You should be able to obtain that with the MSA.
A lot easier option is when your car has plates, nothing should be needed, bar the normal papers.
It is however needed that you make a note of the spares and tools you bring.
I'll check with a Swiss customer later.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1993289)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You will need a Motorway pass for the windscreen as I doubt you will be using the smaller roads. I don't know how much they are now but they were never cheap.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Aug 2007, 07:10 (Ref:1993293)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/dri...witzerland.htm
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Aug 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1994015)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
A mate of mine was motocrossing in Italy and came back via Switzerland. His bike and spares were confiscated at the border and had to go back the next week with the relevant paperwork. I'm not saying this happens all the time but its a lot of hassle if it happens. Makes you wonder if they don't want you to pass through their pretty country !
Old 22 Aug 2007, 00:13 (Ref:1994164)   #6
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crossed over a few years ago on the way to Monza. No problems whatsoever. I made sure I had the FIA papers as well as the registration documents (very loosely registered...) and it was all made easy by the Swiss border people. They did however sting me for a road user charges sticker for the trailer as well as the car. Just remember to turn off your engine at traffic lights. There is a little countdown thingy on the pole at the side of the road that tells you how long until the lights are gonna change to green! Very environmentally conscious (anal anyone) are the Swiss.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1994482)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
thanks very much for everything so far, most useful...
Old 22 Aug 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1994514)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
David I forgot that you also have to pay for the trailer as well (thanks slippy) So with the online booking fee they'll shaft you for 40 Quid ! Its still the best and prettiest route to go though, good luck !
Old 22 Aug 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1994671)   #9
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoke to my Swiss guy earlier today. You will need a carnet, if the car isn't road registered.
Sometimes they ask for the spare parts and tools list, it depends how moody they are it seems.
If they start checking he told me, it may take hours.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1994786)   #10
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Its still the best and prettiest route to go though, good luck !
No argument there! I went via the Gotthard tunnel too. Go early and take your time, it's a great trip.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1994789)   #11
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Take the time to walk the banking at night too, it's a great feeling, sort of eery. There are some great restaurants in Monza, head into the back streets for the best ones, don't bother with Milan. Food at the circuit isn't too bad either (well it wasn't when I was there last). Oh, yeah, the Italian girls

Oh yeah, Monza to Calais took just under 17 hours on the way back; it was late at night...
Old 23 Aug 2007, 11:56 (Ref:1995038)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
David, I was reckoning on staying French, going Calais/Lyon/Turin, it's autoroute all the way anyway and without border crossings could be as quick?

Eddy, our cars are road registered but not taxed/insured. Does that make a difference?
Old 23 Aug 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1995101)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
We have a guy who races a BMW with us and I believe he comes all the way from Switzerland to do it, I will ask him at Donington if there are any issues if you like as he is entered on the 1st/2nd Sept.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1995154)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
when we went to Milan in 1997 (on 1958 LAmbrettas!!!) we went down past Dijon over a hill, Turin and on, the way back was tunnel, Annecy and North from there . . . scenic route !
Old 23 Aug 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1995255)   #15
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
All good info, now for the maths. I'm comparing distance and fuel costs, autoroute tolls, tunnel fees, Swiss transit pass etc and looking to go the cheapest route as I'm a skint racer. Luckily the camper van is under both 3500kg and 3m height but the trailer costs extra on some things.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1995359)   #16
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
I'm not sure about the insurance thing. I guess they would be happy seeing plates on a car, thinking it fully complies.

Can't you take some short term insurance?
Old 23 Aug 2007, 21:06 (Ref:1995436)   #17
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
All good info, now for the maths. I'm comparing distance and fuel costs, autoroute tolls, tunnel fees, Swiss transit pass etc and looking to go the cheapest route as I'm a skint racer. Luckily the camper van is under both 3500kg and 3m height but the trailer costs extra on some things.
Putting it bluntly, David, racing at Monza will outweigh whatever it costs you to get there. The atmosphere, history, heritage, parkland setting, old banking, crowds the like of never seen at Oulton or Brands, Italian scrutineers, the food, the red tape and that famous circuit. Just go; bugger the cost!
Old 23 Aug 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1995463)   #18
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
when we went to Milan in 1997 (on 1958 LAmbrettas!!!) we went down past Dijon over a hill, Turin and on,
That's what I'm planning Zef. Temptation to call into the Trophee de Bourgogne on the way down Something tells me Mrs MM rather more keen to head to the Italian coast though
Old 23 Aug 2007, 23:10 (Ref:1995502)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
.......... Just go; bugger the cost!
Oh I am going - it's part of our series this year. But if you saw a £20 note on the ground would you ignore it and walk on by?
No of course not, and if I can save 50 quid by a little advance planning, I will do so. One thing I have discovered in life is that it's a damn sight harder to earn it than spend it
Old 24 Aug 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1995516)   #20
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
if you saw a £20 note on the ground would you ignore it and walk on by?
I'm a fine upstanding and morally conscious member of the local community................of course I'd pocket it.

Monza park security lock the gates at night meaning you'll have to shimmy over them to gain access tot he paddock late at night. This is not easy with a belly full of pizza, veal Milanese and two bottles of good red wine...
Old 24 Aug 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1995546)   #21
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calais/Lyon/Turin is the best way! If there is an accident or weather at one of the Swiss tunnels you could be stuck for days.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1995703)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
But if you saw a £20 note on the ground would you ignore it and walk on by?
But I factor in the opportunity cost of the time it takes to walk across the paddock to pick it up, the risk involved in running in front of cars going out to the grid and the likelihood of the rightful owner "persuading" me to hand it back
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:18 (Ref:2013100)   #23
midgetman
Veteran

Sorry to revive this, misleading title, but something Slippy said is backed up by something I read on autosport.com:

>>>>>>>>>>Monza park security lock the gates at night meaning you'll have to shimmy over them to gain access tot he paddock late at night.

Is the reverse true? We're partying at the circuit but staying in town, can we get out with the tow car?

TIA

Max

Last edited by midgetman; 14 Sep 2007 at 20:21.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:27 (Ref:2013109)   #24
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Last time I was there everything was locked late in the evening. No way in or out.
But that is some time ago. Maybe find out first before you go out.