Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 24 Aug 2007, 13:10 (Ref:1995828)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Villeneuve eyes Cup in '08

Quote:
Jacques Villeneuve looks set to make his NASCAR debut this year in the Craftsman Truck Series and will be testing extensively with Bill Davis Racing to prepare himself for a possible assault in the NASCAR Nextel Cup next year.

Villeneuve announced that he will be testing next Monday at Chicagoland Speedway, at the wheel of a Toyota Tundra truck for BDR, in what is expected to be the first of a series of tests in preparation for a possible race debut at Las Vegas on 22 September.

"We will start with a single test," Villeneuve told Le Journal de Montreal. "It's important that the team see that I can do the job, and on top of all, if I like driving these cars. I'd be surprised if I don't, but I want to see for myself."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61711
Old 24 Aug 2007, 13:44 (Ref:1995849)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He did this last year, and no one was interested. Bill Davis has the #36 ride available if Jacques wants it, but I can't see him settling for rides in anything less than Cup.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 14:19 (Ref:1995856)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hell, everyone wants to race in Cup, and why not, it is the best racing around.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1995888)   #4
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting, last year it was just talk, looks like there is action this time around...

Has Jaques driven anything this year?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 24 Aug 2007, 15:55 (Ref:1995898)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Associated Press

8/24/2007 12:21:38 AM

HIGH POINT, N.C. (AP) - Jacques Villeneuve will try to become the latest Formula One driver to move into NASCAR, hoping to parlay a test session into a new career.

Villeneuve, a former F1 world champion from Iberville, Que., will test a truck for Bill Davis Racing on Monday at Chicagoland Speedway, the team said Thursday.

''Bill Davis Racing was aware of my interest in NASCAR and approached my management team with a view to allowing me to test within its truck program,'' Villeneuve said. ''I'm glad we were able to work that out, and having spent the day with the team for my seat fitting, I am really looking forward to working with Bill and his staff.''

Villeneuve has not raced on ovals since 1995, when he won both the Indianapolis 500 and the CART title. He used those accomplishments to land an F1 ride, and became world champion in 1997.

He had a rocky ride after that, though, and lost his seat with BMW-Sauber midway through last season.

Craig Pollock, Villeneuve's longtime manager, said they prefer for the driver to ease into NASCAR through the Truck Series. Last summer, Juan Pablo Montoya jumped from F1 to NASCAR and eased his way in. But Montoya never raced in the Truck Series, going straight into stock cars for his October debut.

Montoya is now in NASCAR's top-level Nextel Cup Series, and he scored his first career victory on the road course in Sonoma, Calif., in June.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1995923)   #6
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuiE
Interesting, last year it was just talk, looks like there is action this time around...

Has Jaques driven anything this year?
Yup, at a little place called Le Mans in a "Pugueout"
Old 24 Aug 2007, 17:25 (Ref:1995929)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was thinking how quiet JV had gone on this, so I'm glad to see the interest is back!
Old 24 Aug 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1996005)   #8
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news. BDR is a solid team and should improve a lot next year as Toyota steps up its program. It isn't Hendrick or Gibbs but it is a good team. If JV can have 2-3 good years with BDR he could move to a stronger team after that. There is also the chance that BDR develops into a title contender with Toyota. It was once a top 10 team with Pontiac. Of course, first things first. Let's see how JV does in the trucks. Still, this is fantastic news. Welcome to NASCAR, Jacques!

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 25 Aug 2007, 00:29 (Ref:1996105)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61746

An old rival welcomes the move...
Old 25 Aug 2007, 01:33 (Ref:1996134)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, it was good to hear JPM support JV in this venture and that he doesn't hold a grudge. The two had a few "incidents" in F1, on the track and off but that is ancient history now. JPM seems pretty convinced that JV can make the transition and rather quickly. It will be interesting.
Old 25 Aug 2007, 06:31 (Ref:1996168)   #11
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Classy move by JPM. I think they may actually wind up becoming friends because of the shared experiences they alone would have on the NASCAR circuit in F1 and winning the Indy 500.

Old 25 Aug 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1996227)   #12
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although they had their run-ins in F1 once or twice, JV was supportive when JPM announced his NASCAR move last year and it's nice to see the sentiment returned. Looking forward to seeing how JV does - it's great how both of them are unafraid to try different disciplines.
Old 25 Aug 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1996469)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61794
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61793

Old 27 Aug 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1997283)   #14
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interresting. I wonder if he'll be able to compete in Le Mans next year (Daytona I bet though!)

Have to say that I actually think quite highly about drivers who race in multiple disciplines; Villeneuve now got OW and Sportscars down, and with NASCAR next he's only got to do some rally to tie it all ut!
Old 27 Aug 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1997772)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Interresting. I wonder if he'll be able to compete in Le Mans next year (Daytona I bet though!)
Wants Peugeot him back in the car? If I remember well his lap times weren't very good compared to the other Peugeot drivers.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1997781)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He won't be able to do Le Mans I doubt. And it was no guarantee Peugeot would re-sign him as FIRE says.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1998010)   #17
Kirk
Veteran

Apparently JV enjoyed his 1st test. He kept it off the wall ... and his pace wasn't too bad for his debut at about half second per lap behind Skinner.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1998569)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
http://www.rds.ca/video/visionneuse.html?video=3730

Nice racing suit
Old 29 Aug 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1999413)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Villeneuve is on NASCAR Now at the mo, confirmed for a full time seat next year for Bill Davis Racing.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1999420)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Just terrific. More good news for NASCAR, it just gets better and stronger.

So when does he make his truck debut?
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:00 (Ref:1999422)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
will be great to see him and JPM both in it!

Pass on trucks, didn't see whole interview.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1999427)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I will have to obtain "footage" of his truck races.

(This is a massive hint. My PM's are open.)
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1999644)   #23
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see him coming over to NASCAR. I think he'll struggle next year though. BDR was great 5 years or so ago, but they haven't been a top performer since then. The team will start off out of the top-35 in points and it looks like the current sponsor will leave at the end of this season. He won't have it as easy as Montoya did moving to Cup. I think may end up more akin to Allmendinger.

I wish him the best of luck though.

J.D.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1999655)   #24
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Just terrific. More good news for NASCAR, it just gets better and stronger.

So when does he make his truck debut?
Sept 22. Vegas I believe.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1999690)   #25
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
JV impressive in his first test, going from three-quarter a second behind Mike Skinner, a former top 10 cup driver and regular truck series front-runner, to just two tenths slower.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...est/index.html