Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Aug 2002, 05:51 (Ref:350180)   #1
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Variety anymore?

Hi guys
Yesterday I went to the Konica Series races at Mallala. While it was an enjoyable day there was no variety within each catergory of racing, with the possible execption of the Porsche Cup. The remainder (Konicas, Saloon Cars, HQs and even Formula Holden and Ford) was one or two make racing. Now there is not anything necessarily wrong with this but where can I see racing between different types of cars. I am only a young'n (21) so I missed all the old sports car and sport sedan racing but wouldn't it be great to see this sort of thing again.
Even in these controlled (1 or 2 makes, controlled tyres etc) forms of motorsport the racing is not even all that close, especially at the front of the field as the one or two areas of freedom make all the difference and if one person gets it right he usually wins.
I understand that winning and even competing at any level of motorsport requires lot of dedication and I am not knocking anyone who competes in these catergories but it would just be nice to see something different occaisionally.

OK Rant Over now.
But what does everyone else think.

Jiminee
Old 5 Aug 2002, 05:56 (Ref:350181)   #2
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
While it was an enjoyable day there was no variety within each catergory of racing, with the possible execption of the Porsche Cup.
Huh ?
Old 5 Aug 2002, 06:07 (Ref:350183)   #3
jiminee
Racer

What I mean was that at least there was some different engine configurations, ie turbo non-turbo. Even front engined and rear engined cars with 2 944s competing.
Sorry if I did not make much sense.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 06:22 (Ref:350186)   #4
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For many years now, the 'P' word Parity has dominated peoples idea of close hard racing and they have been right, the grids have never been closer in the V8's in terms of lap times but passing and therefore excitement are not good bedfellows with parity.

The hey days of Improved Production were proof that the field needs to lap in similar times but the excitement comes from the strengths and weaknesses of each car at different parts of the circuit, (GTP is a modern day equivalent).

I thought Group A was going great until one car (GTR) was too dominant. A modification of rules rather than a change to effectively precluding cars other than Holden & Ford may in time prove to have been the correct choice but it is always so much easier in hindsight and when you are on the other side of a TV screen but that is still my opinion.

Old 5 Aug 2002, 06:42 (Ref:350193)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Want variety? You wan't PROCAR...

...Rear engine V10's, turbo's, 4WD, Utes, Sedans, Coupes, Hatches, V6 & V8, every car imaginable Too bad the days off them all racing in one race are over. It used to be great watcing the Ferrari's lap the Suzuki Swifts
Old 5 Aug 2002, 08:46 (Ref:350246)   #6
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the best racing I have ever seen were Group A races at Amaroo Park, with the Sierras up the front, the Commodores and GTRs catching them when the Sierras rear tyres turned to mush and the BMWs steadily running down the lot of them

I think it was on V8 Superstars yesterday that Tony Cochrane said that it was V8 Supercars and not exotic cars that most appeals to fans. Personally, they could be racing Lada Samaras for all I care, as long as the racing's good, I'll watch.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 10:11 (Ref:350284)   #7
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wanna see good racing? Watch the procar racing. I like the gt performace class and the brutes the best. 4 Utes wide into a corner at QLD raceway and no one went spearing off, now thats some mighty fine racing.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 10:25 (Ref:350292)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: No Variety anymore?

Hey jiminee (man I can remember when I was 21 - have fun!)

"I am only a young'n (21) so I missed all the old sports car and sport sedan racing but wouldn't it be great to see this sort of thing again".

You wanna see em again? they are still racing!! Check out the Historics. A trip over to Philip Island next year just before the GP for the "Classic" might be well worth your while. Meanwhile, enjoy your motorsport (ain't it great!)
Old 5 Aug 2002, 12:22 (Ref:350384)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Want some great racing- go to any state championship meeting, on any given weekend, somewhere in AU.

275 GTB-4, welcome aboard!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 14:24 (Ref:350462)   #10
jiminee
Racer

I had forgotten about Procar, they only come to the Clipsal 500 here and with everything else that goes on that weekend (even some racing!) it is easy to forget, but yes that does add some variety.
Crash Test, I will look into the State side of things, might be more interesting. I am actually studying to be a Mechanical Engineer (almost finished) so they technical side of racing appeals to me as much as saying 'the first 20 cars qualified with 1 sec of each.'
That just means that the cars are that close that the possiblitly of overtaking is almost zero. Hence the introduction of pitstops, but that is another topic.
I guess my rant was not over hey.
And if I hear the word parity one more time......

As an aside can anybody provide some info on Historic Racing, such as a program or something?

Jiminee
Old 5 Aug 2002, 22:18 (Ref:350848)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With regards to Historics, at least in QLD you can check out www.hrcc.org,au or www.qrda.asn.au

I'd say if you rocked up to a State Championship meeting, you could probably get talking to some Sports Sedan team (or FFord, or something), and if you tell them your a Mechanical Engineer, you could probably pick up some decent work experience...
Old 5 Aug 2002, 23:16 (Ref:350924)   #12
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Want some great racing- go to any state championship meeting, on any given weekend, somewhere in AU.
Oh please Crash can we go in anything but an AU?

(Sorry I couldn't myself, I know you meant Australia but.....)

Old 5 Aug 2002, 23:40 (Ref:350933)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Pffffftttt.... that's it! I'm having a coke for lunch!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 11:08 (Ref:351162)   #14
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by William Dale Jr
Some of the best racing I have ever seen were Group A races at Amaroo Park, with the Sierras up the front, the Commodores and GTRs catching them when the Sierras rear tyres turned to mush and the BMWs steadily running down the lot of them

I have to agree with you there. I reckon the best ATCC was the 1990 Championship. Sure Jim Richards in Godzilla won but Johnson, Brock and Bond all in the line for the Championship going into the last round at Oran Park. Then top it off Win Percy and Allan Grice winning one of the best Bathurst 1000's ever
Old 6 Aug 2002, 12:04 (Ref:351201)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Histerics

Quote:
Originally posted by jiminee

As an aside can anybody provide some info on Historic Racing, such as a program or something?

Jiminee
Hey Mr Cricket, check out the CAMS website (under renovation). They have a fairly good Oz calendar of events - Historic events are sprinkled about. I suggested a trip down? to VIC as they seem to have a good following there. Enjoy!

"275-GTB-4?, yeah ya know, the Ferrari that looks like an E-Type on steroids!!"

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 6 Aug 2002 at 12:06.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 04:19 (Ref:351981)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jiminee, for State Championship meetings, try talking to the Sporting Car Club of South Australia. For information on Historic racing, try the Austin 7 Club of South Australia.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 15:02 (Ref:352343)   #17
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jiminee
What I mean was that at least there was some different engine configurations, ie turbo non-turbo. Even front engined and rear engined cars with 2 944s competing.
Sorry if I did not make much sense.
Can you get to an Improved Production race ??

While i understand each state is different in our over 2 ltr class the last round we had...
* 13B RX-7's
* 13B RX-3's
* 12A Turbo 808
* Subaru WRX's
* Volvo 740 Turbo (shudder !)
* V8 LH Toranas
* XU1 6 pack LJ's
* Nissan Gazelle Turbo
* V8 VB, VR, VS Commodores
* Audi Turbo
* Datsun 1600 Turbo
* Mazda 121 2 ltr Turbo

It's a great category (and i'm biased lol) with plenty of variety and always close racing...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:23 (Ref:353567)   #18
jiminee
Racer

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will look into it, though now it looks like I might save my pennies and make a mad rush to Bathurst if Brocky is going to be there, that might sound hypocritical but I thought I had missed my chance to see him there and now I might be able to, woohoo!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:56 (Ref:353791)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
That Volvo 740T is a jet though! What the heck is going on there? It's getting on the podium in the Tri-State Series!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 11:32 (Ref:353821)   #20
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its called Ric Shaw doing some engine work to it.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 10 Aug 2002, 04:31 (Ref:354433)   #21
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's actually prepared by Rev Doctor Motorsports...

Richard Prince (the owner/driver) has developed what was a street/supersprint car to what it is now...
The bloody thing moves, let me assure you !!

Paul...
Old 10 Aug 2002, 09:57 (Ref:354497)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
And what's this I see about a Datsun 120Y doing great things?
Old 10 Aug 2002, 14:43 (Ref:354623)   #23
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Datsun 120Y with an FJ20 in it if ya dont mind. The thing's a jet!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:31 (Ref:356018)   #24
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And to think....that 740 is just a boring old Volvo
Old 20 Aug 2002, 14:50 (Ref:362097)   #25
andylynn
Rookie

andylynn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wait till I get my Imp on the track. Now that thing is a bullet.Also try some of the round the houses races. They might not be rockets but seeing an Austin Seven sideways is something you will never forget.