corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PunTiago gets local one-off sponsor

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6962
Old 29 Aug 2003, 02:39 (Ref:702305)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see a local business interested in the race and getting a run. I'm sure the Denver GP is good for business too.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 02:57 (Ref:702309)   #3
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would somebody please explain to me where in the heck this "PunTiago" came from(although,I THINK I may know...and Queen Liz and I are NOT amused! )

However, thanks Corkholio, for the link (who'd ever thought they have "Maglnolias" in "l'il o'l Denver )
Old 29 Aug 2003, 03:24 (Ref:702312)   #4
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news. I was hoping that Coors was going to do a one off deal for this race again like last year.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 03:25 (Ref:702313)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So the team gets to stay at the hotel for free, and in return, the team puts their name on the side of the car.

I dont actually see anything to initiate a load of excitement here, nor in reality, a non-Pook contribution to this team's budget from this sponsor.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 06:44 (Ref:702375)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We could do without the stupid nickname. I didn't think Tiago was that hard to spell, but obviously for some.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 06:46 (Ref:702378)   #7
corkholio
Veteran

Harder than Schumacher.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 06:47 (Ref:702380)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SCHUMACHER

Wow, that was hard.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 07:09 (Ref:702392)   #9
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
SCHUMACHER

Wow, that was hard.
Your posting history would suggest otherwise. But I have no interest in debating with you on this, if you have an issue with my spelling abilities then you are free to take it up with the board of education.

Getting back to the topic here it looks like Emmo is able to find a few sponsors here or there. Hopefully he can find more and have a real talent like Orsi who has no money drive the car and actually bring it back in one piece.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 07:47 (Ref:702407)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
You really are obsessed with people's posting history aren't you corky?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 09:15 (Ref:702447)   #11
corkholio
Veteran

Only if it shows you to be as big of a revisionist as Tony George.

So do you actually have anything relevant to say about Emmo's new sponsor?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:36 (Ref:702853)   #12
MLM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
We could do without the stupid nickname. I didn't think Tiago was that hard to spell, but obviously for some.

Especially the nickname part (which I consider unfair, ditto the bashing. Like I said, he had some good finishes and runs this season.True, he's hit a streak of bad luck...who hasn't in racing, especially in his/her 1st year?)

It is nice, however, to see sponsorship deals pop up, even if they are temporary.
It still pays the bills no matter which way you slice it.

Last edited by MLM; 29 Aug 2003 at 16:41.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 17:55 (Ref:702921)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly MLM... sponsorship is sponsorship even if only for a race...

As for Montiero, was he the first Cart driver to take out someone else? I mean, Tracy's never done that, nor has Vasser, Dominguez, Servia... Montiero must be special...lol.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Aug 2003, 21:27 (Ref:703051)   #14
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
Especially the nickname part (which I consider unfair, ditto the bashing...he's hit a streak of bad luck...
Only if you consider "bad luck" to be the cars and tire/concrete walls that he has been rearranging. Or is that only reserved for drivers who can actually win?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 21:35 (Ref:703056)   #15
MLM
Veteran

Oh,puhleeeeze!

What have YOU got against Tiago? You want to talk about drivers who "rearrange", let's talk about almost the whole darn field....INCLUDING some race winners!
Get a grip, please.

Like I said Jay, "great minds" We all know PT or Dominguez or Jimmy,etc....NEVER rearanged anything, hehe.

Oh, BTW, Tiago just qualified in the top 10!

Last edited by MLM; 29 Aug 2003 at 21:41.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 21:40 (Ref:703059)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
What have YOU got against Tiago? You want to talk about drivers who "rearrange", let's talk about almost the whole darn field....INCLUDING some race winners!
Get a grip, please.
I am just extending him the same welcome that Townsend Bell got. At least his nickname is not based on his nationality.

Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
Oh, BTW, Tiago just qualified in the top 10!
No doubt it helped that no other cars were near him when that occurred.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 21:43 (Ref:703063)   #17
MLM
Veteran

It didn't seem to help the 11 drivers he outqualified today.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 00:37 (Ref:703111)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm happy to see Tiago doing well and any sponsor is a step forward; having worked hard with a young racing friend to get sponsors I know how hard that can be, and I'm sure Mr. Fittipaldi and Mr. Monteiro are both happy to have something new.

Good work by Tiago today incidentally, he was P2 for quite awhile and he outqualified some very good drivers today.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 02:19 (Ref:703138)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I don't get it. Tiago has hit his share of objects, but he can't be criticized. Everyone seems to love "Mad Max" and Rahal fired him for hitting K Brack (his own team mate) too often and costing him the championship. T Bell wasn't exactly Mr. Safety and he gets criticized - and this was before he went to the IRL.

Of course going to the IRL is like automatically sentencing a driver to "Diss-World" but I am not going there. But I will say it seems to be plenty ok to say whatever you want negatively about any CART driver who went there. There is definitely a double-standard at work here.

Tiago has shown some speed but lets get a grip - this year's CART field, both in technical and driver quality is arguably the worst ever.

The bad thing is I am moving and won't have DSL for a while to follow this thread...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 12:55 (Ref:703337)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember a number of people having hysterics when Mr. Bell as criticised -- the point being that he was an American driver and we were picking on him due to his nationality, not because he seemed to be hitting a lot of people. Criticism is one thing, but insulting nicknames is another, and as you may recall, I was even admonished for referring to Mr. Bell as "Townie" which isn't insulting in the least. There's a difference between criticism of someone's driving and coining insulting nicknames for them, after all.

Finally, if you believe this is "arguably the worst field ever", why are you watching: only to come on here and complain? If you don't like what you're seeing, why not watch something else?
Old 30 Aug 2003, 13:06 (Ref:703339)   #21
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I seem to remember a number of people having hysterics when Mr. Bell as criticised -- the point being that he was an American driver and we were picking on him due to his nationality, not because he seemed to be hitting a lot of people. Criticism is one thing, but insulting nicknames is another, and as you may recall, I was even admonished for referring to Mr. Bell as "Townie" which isn't insulting in the least. There's a difference between criticism of someone's driving and coining insulting nicknames for them, after all.
This is rich coming from someone who gave a nickname to a driver based solely on his nationality. Strange how you only complain when someone dares to criticize your non-American studs.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 13:07 (Ref:703343)   #22
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
I don't get it. Tiago has hit his share of objects, but he can't be criticized. Everyone seems to love "Mad Max" and Rahal fired him for hitting K Brack (his own team mate) too often and costing him the championship. T Bell wasn't exactly Mr. Safety and he gets criticized - and this was before he went to the IRL.

Of course going to the IRL is like automatically sentencing a driver to "Diss-World" but I am not going there. But I will say it seems to be plenty ok to say whatever you want negatively about any CART driver who went there. There is definitely a double-standard at work here.

Tiago has shown some speed but lets get a grip - this year's CART field, both in technical and driver quality is arguably the worst ever.

The bad thing is I am moving and won't have DSL for a while to follow this thread...

Let's face it - if Townsend Bell had Mexican parents and his name was Taco Bell, there would be a "journalist" begging him to give her rides in his rental car.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 14:29 (Ref:703374)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A driver called Taco Bell would be great for publicity....

But where has this idea about Townsend having driven in the IRL come from? He's gone to Europe's Formula 3000, aiming for F1.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 21:21 (Ref:703618)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Puntiago is 5th...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Aug 2003, 21:44 (Ref:703633)   #25
Liz
Veteran

With a perfect run with no mistakes -- P2 on the session and his best qualifying this season! Ahead of 14 other cars!

Mr. Bell is doing fairly well in F3000 isn't he? Perhaps he just needed more seasoning.