Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:49 (Ref:216793)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiago Monteiro

This is one good driver. He will challenge for the title.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 00:38 (Ref:216894)   #2
msps
Rookie

msps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure it is. He's Portuguese! :-) Some months ago I posted a note about him. He started racing in FRenault with almost 0 racing experience and he's doing great.
FORÇA TIAGO!!!
Old 16 Feb 2002, 09:47 (Ref:217001)   #3
formula-3000net
Racer

formula-3000net should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's got to get a seat first - David Sears is still saying he hasn't made a decision on who will drive for him, but it will be any combination of Bourdais, Monteiro and Pantano.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 19:46 (Ref:217294)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monteiro has got the seat. Pantano will have the second one.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 20:56 (Ref:217339)   #5
Conrod
Rookie

Ireland
Conrod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong Mr Haakiman!!
Old 17 Feb 2002, 03:55 (Ref:217502)   #6
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is a quote from an article:
"Tiago Monteiro will take part in the FIA Formula 3000 Championship with Super Nova" found here:

http://www.f3000.com/2002/2002_press...2_14_tiago.htm

Tiago Monteiro presented yesterday his project for the 2002 season and his integration in the Renault F1 Driver Development – Renault`s oficial program for the new drivers. Under Renault official colors, Tiago Monteiro will take part in the FIA Formula 3000 Championship with Super Nova and will join some tests with Renault Formula One Team. The integration of Renault Sport in this project, will give good chances for the Portuguese driver to introduce himself in Formula One, with his performance and qualities being analyzed in each test.

Continuing his ´climb` in the motorsport career, and counting with a good backup of Renault, Tiago Monteiro will take part in Formula 3000, with Renault Junior Team Super Nova, one of the most prestigious teams, and with an excellent pack of results since the beginning of this discipline in 1985.

This project and to have a seat in one of the best teams in the Formula 3000 Paddock, Tiago Monteiro was only possible thanks to some Portuguese companies and some multinational companies sponsoring, as Renault Portugal, Iberotel, Santogal Group, Unicer, Brose – Technic fur Automobile, Elf, SG tabacos and Qta da Marinha Golf Conference Resort.

Last Tuesday, Tiago Monteiro had the opportunity of seating for the first time in the Lola B2/50, after 60 days away from a racing car: “It wasn’t a real test, but a shakedown to see if the car is 100% ok. I did 50 laps in Estoril, and I was impressed with the new gearbox – now with six gears – and with the steering wheel, that is much better than the one in the old car”, said Tiago Monteiro very pleased with the performance of the new car.

In the beginning of this new season, Tiago Monteiro does not hide his ambitions, but reminds that: “My first goal is to learn the Formula One Circuits and try to do my best in each race, once my performance will be analyzed by Reanult, through RDD”.

“I`d like to be the best roockie of the season and try to catch some points with some regularity. I know it will not be easy because of the other drivers with a lot more experience in Formula 3000 and knowing the circuits. Anyway, I will do my best”, explained the Portuguese driver that only knows three of the twelve circuits that receives the Formula 3000 Championship: “Monte-Carlo, Spa and Monza are the only circuits I have raced before, which will bring a additional difficulty for this season”.

This year, Tiago Monteiro will join Renault`s Junior Team, a situation that can only bring benefits to the driver: “It is a very important relationship, because I can count on the backup of this make, in the circuits and in the tests, that can be very important to my future”.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 15:48 (Ref:217796)   #7
formula-3000net
Racer

So, Tiago's manager has been busy writing press releases - You hear the same things from many drivers' managers.

David Sears has a different story - and right now I'm inclined to believe him when it comes to who will be driving in his team this year!

Still, we'll know what he's decided in the next 36 hours...

It's a difficult decision:

a) Choose two good drivers (Pantano and Bourdais) to be certain of the constructors' title, but risk not winning the drivers' title.

b) Choose one good and one less experienced driver (Pantano and Monteiro), concentrate on the driver's championship with Pantano, and let a team with two good drivers take the constructor's title - a sound strategy because drivers' championship is more important...but it went wrong for SuperNova last year...

c) Take all three drivers, run Pantano and Bourdais in the International team, and Monteiro in the European team - if either Pantano or Bourdais underperforms, swap them around.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 17:19 (Ref:217824)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.f3000.com/2002/2002_press...ago_08_640.jpg

Looks pretty official to me
Old 17 Feb 2002, 20:09 (Ref:218006)   #9
formula-3000net
Racer

...But Thursday afternoon's press release from SuperNova (i.e. remember Monteiro's management released that photo last Tuesday - BEFORE the test!) tells a different story:

For immediate release 14th February 2002

FIA INTERNATIONAL FORMULA 3000
TWO DAY OFFICIAL TEST AT THE ESTORIL CIRCUIT, PORTUGAL

13th & 14th February 2002

Super Nova Racing have been testing the new Lola B2/50 car for the first
time over the last three days at the Estoril circuit in Portugal. So far
the team have only received their first car from Lola and therefore the
testing time was split between drivers.

On day one of the official test (Wednesday), Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais
ran in the car and finished fourth at the end of the morning session but
during the afternoon session he set the quickest time, which put him third
fastest overall after day one.

Italian Giorgio Pantano ran during the morning session of day two and
finished the session seventh quickest. During the afternoon Tiago Monteiro
took over and also finished seventh in the session.

Team Manager, David Sears:- "We successfully tested three drivers on a short
list for the Super Nova Formula 3000 team for this season and all of them
acquitted themselves very well. Each driver was given a morning and an
afternoon and had to share the same car as most teams are waiting for their
second cars to be delivered.

Sebastien Bourdais was quick on Wednesday afternoon while Giorgio Pantano
was quickest in the late part of the morning session today. Tiago Monteiro
got to grips with the new Lola F3000 car very well considering his
experience.

Super Nova will have to decide this weekend who will drive for the team in
2002 as there is another two-day test scheduled at Barcelona next Tuesday
and Wednesday. As the Team Principal I have to make a tough decision in the
next couple of days."
Old 17 Feb 2002, 20:55 (Ref:218053)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*shrug* With Renault backing SuperNova and Monteiro, and David Sears showing up for his photos, itd be odd if Monteiro doesnt drive for him
Old 19 Feb 2002, 00:49 (Ref:218697)   #11
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing is certain, someone will have more fun than us because he will drive the car hahahaha!!!
Old 20 Feb 2002, 11:49 (Ref:219390)   #12
msps
Rookie

It's official. Monteiro will drive for Super Nova. The Team made the official presentation to the press here in Portugal in an hotel near Estoril. Tiago has the support of Renault Portugal plus some local sponsors.
D. Sears his still deciding who will be the other driver for the Team.
A small test in the Renault F1 has also been promised by Renault France.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 12:34 (Ref:219418)   #13
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by msps
It's official. Monteiro will drive for Super Nova. The Team made the official presentation to the press here in Portugal in an hotel near Estoril. Tiago has the support of Renault Portugal plus some local sponsors.
D. Sears his still deciding who will be the other driver for the Team.
A small test in the Renault F1 has also been promised by Renault France.
Hello msps,

When was that?
Old 21 Feb 2002, 02:10 (Ref:219850)   #14
formula-3000net
Racer

He is referring to the press conference which you are showing the photos of, and which everybody is taking to assume that Monteiro has signed with SuperNova - it was actually a press conference about Monteiro linking up with Renault for various things over the next few years.
At the time, Monteiro claimed he would drive for SuperNova this year.

David Sears was asked about this claim by Motorsport News, and denied it.

And today, he has said he will delay his decision until this weekend.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 02:17 (Ref:219853)   #15
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so instead of Bourdais OR Pantano it might be Bourdais and Pantano.

I would say...why not sign all three and put one (let's say Monteiro) in Euro 3000 with the EuroNova Racing Team. That means they have all 3 under contract and all three will race
Old 21 Feb 2002, 02:28 (Ref:219856)   #16
formula-3000net
Racer

Good idea...

I think Pantano is 99% certain, and it's just a question of who will drive alongside him.

If David Sears chooses Bourdais, then Monteiro will have to go to Euro3000 or Formula Nissan.

If he chooses Monteiro, then Bourdais could suddenly turn up at another F3000 team - like Minardi - and having learnt all the car's secrets, could pose a serious threat to SuperNova's chances of taking the title.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 02:30 (Ref:219857)   #17
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by formula-3000net
David Sears was asked about this claim by Motorsport News, and denied it.

And today, he has said he will delay his decision until this weekend.
Yes, I just saw that today on crash.net
Old 21 Feb 2002, 02:38 (Ref:219858)   #18
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder when the FIA will give us more details about entry lists. Everytime it's all t.b.a. does any of you guys know when they will update it, most teams have run in their 2002 livery in testing i presume?
Old 21 Feb 2002, 15:23 (Ref:220099)   #19
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Stranger
I wonder when the FIA will give us more details about entry lists. Everytime it's all t.b.a. does any of you guys know when they will update it, most teams have run in their 2002 livery in testing i presume?
No idea...
Old 21 Feb 2002, 15:47 (Ref:220113)   #20
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
In the meantime i'll just check f3000.com and formula-3000.net and of course Unofficial F3000. More updates anyways
Old 21 Feb 2002, 15:54 (Ref:220118)   #21
msps
Rookie

DanFlag,
This conference tooked place in the weekend.
You can find all the story here

http://www.autosport.pt/default.asp?...y=254&int=_int

I'm afraid it is in portuguese. Anyway I also have read the newspaper and there's an interview with D. Sears confirming Monteiro in the Team. In the same interview D. Sears says he has not decided who will follow Monteiro.

It seems that there are some cross information around this...
Old 21 Feb 2002, 16:34 (Ref:220126)   #22
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by msps
It seems that there are some cross information around this...
That's one thing for sure, and another one is that WHO are we to say that David Sears is not just denying info to the press for particular reasons.

It's a big buck$ game and saying YES or NO at the right time might change the bill$ at the end of the game!

Time will tell and I'm sure one way or another it will be a very exciting F3000 season to follow

Last edited by DanFlag; 21 Feb 2002 at 16:40.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 20:47 (Ref:220267)   #23
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone recently was telling me that Monteiro would get the drive if he could find a certain amount of money - other wise it would be Bourdais.

Monteiro obviously seems confident he has found the money...but it seems David Sears hasn't seen it yet.

We shall see.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 21:07 (Ref:220284)   #24
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I hear, Brask are struggling financially, and I believe that's where most of Pantano's money comes from. Sears wants Pantano. I would still put my money on a Pantano/Bourdais lineup, but if either can't come up with the bucks, Monteiro will be in there.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 15:04 (Ref:220669)   #25
msps
Rookie

Latest news
Christian Contzen, Renault Sport Director for new tallents program has said today
"...Tiago will be doing some small testing with our new F1 car. We want him to learn everything about the behaviour of the car. We want him to get in touch with the F1 ambiance. Of course that being in the F3000, which will have 12 races in all the F1 circuits, will help him knowing better the places where in the future he will be called to action. In the future, depending on his behaviour we will know if we can count on him for the developing of our F1 car"