Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2007, 23:27 (Ref:1989218)   #1
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Speed to NASCAR in 2008

According to sources within Red Bull Racing Scott Speed will join the Red Bull Racing NASCAR team in 2008. The same sources also said again that it is very likely that Red Bull Racing will switch to Chevy.

http://www.cupscene.com/081407nascar2.htm
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:09 (Ref:1989235)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Scott.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:27 (Ref:1989247)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nascar 1 Aowr 0
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:34 (Ref:1989252)   #4
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Nascar 1 Aowr 0
I think it is more like NASCAR 10 Aowr 0
Old 15 Aug 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1989367)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't want to rile people.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1989455)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Another "experienced" driver for Red Bull in NASCAR.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1989579)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A devastating loss for American open wheel racing, and open wheel racing in general. Scott Speed is a driver of such high calibre, the likes of which we will never see again in the history of the human race. I hope either CCWS or the IRL find a way to somehow clone him, so that they too can benefit from his unquestionable driving talent. And his ability to mime to irritating songs on YouTube.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1989642)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know little about Scot Speed but according to the article...........

"The 24-year-old California native made his debut in Formula 1 in 2006 and competed this past season, but was released from his Toro Rosso team last week for lack of performance. Since his debut with the team in March of 2006, Speed failed to score a championship point."

What am I missing, seriously, is he a good driver or not. Would he be better in Champ Car instead of Nascar.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1989698)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another nail in AOWR's coffin then. When the homegrown boys don't even wanna go there....

muggle....Scott is a fairly unspectacular driver, but reasonably competent. He achieved third in GP2 Series in 2005 think (albeit way off the those ahead of him in the points). He appeared a bit uncommitted in F1 though, whether this was down to his team or not I don't know.

Hard to say how he'd do in NASCAR really. It is so different.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1989772)   #10
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Colin Braun is ready for his debut.
http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241933/49/
Old 15 Aug 2007, 20:31 (Ref:1989785)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Off-topic
Why is Braun racing in GrandAm instead of ARCA or an other stockcar series?

Last edited by FIRE; 15 Aug 2007 at 20:39.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1989790)   #12
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He too, is moving to ARCA and nascar with Rousch next year, and I believe he's done some ARCA this year already. Welcoming him as well as SS. Not so off topic.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1990089)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I don't see any reason to suppose Speed would excel in NASCAR. Equally, I don't suppose he would be particularly bad at it.

I would think that he wouldn't really have a lot of say in where he goes: RB will tell him.

I'm just bracing myself for the use that media in general (and NASCAR/SpeedTV in particular) are going to make of his surname. It might get painful.

Last edited by Dutton; 16 Aug 2007 at 09:53.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1990283)   #14
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if NASCAR was #1 on Speed's shortlist of "Series to do in the US"? He's been a single seater guy all his career, and has spoken about Champ Car as his preferred next destionation (I think?). Is stock cars what he wants to do, or because he gets a shed load of cash to do it? And with Red Bull, sheesh. How many races have Allmendinger qualified for now again - he too being an OW racer?
Secondly, what do a racer preferr - to be a nobody in a big series, or a star in a slightly smaller one? If NASCAR is what he wants to do, fine and good luck to him, but I have seen nothing up until now to indicate that.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1990376)   #15
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is the better driver, Speed or Allmendinger?? Just curious.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1990381)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Allmendinger.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 22:55 (Ref:1990547)   #17
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Really? Fair enough.

They'll both shine when they're in Chevys next year, I feel.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1991296)   #18
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull is still commited to Toyota from what I have seen so far. Switching to Chevy wouldn't give them a massive increase in performance either because they would need to completely relearn the setups and engineering for the new cars manufacturer support or not. Plus the team would still be out of the top-35 in owner points to start the season. Missing just a couple races to start will take them out for the whole season.

There's also a chance Speed could race in the Busch series next year. I remember hearing something previously that RBR wanted to start a Busch team. Plus, it would be the smartest thing to do since he has no stock car experience.

J.D.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1991441)   #19
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
There's also a chance Speed could race in the Busch series next year. I remember hearing something previously that RBR wanted to start a Busch team. Plus, it would be the smartest thing to do since he has no stock car experience.
This sounds very similar to what Montoya was did when he raced in the Busch Series, with the driver coming straight out of F1 with no stock car experience.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2000061)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61888

Unlikely for this year.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 01:46 (Ref:2001149)   #21
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Well if he will not be going to NASCAR next year does that mean that he will go to Champ Car or the IRL?
Old 1 Sep 2007, 09:17 (Ref:2001216)   #22
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
They are talking about RBR, there are many other places they can put him.

Imagine...him in a Red Bull JGR car...
Old 1 Sep 2007, 19:03 (Ref:2001424)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
They are talking about RBR, there are many other places they can put him.

Imagine...him in a Red Bull JGR car...
You mean, besides 2 Red Bull Racing cars, Red Bull sponsors a 4th JGR car?
Old 2 Sep 2007, 23:33 (Ref:2002162)   #24
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've seen it is likely Speed will race for RBR in a lower series. The team officials have said that with his experience they don't plan to run him in Cup right away but will help him get started.

J.D.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 00:58 (Ref:2002189)   #25
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Fantastic!