Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 21 Apr 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3063362)   #1
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excuse me, but why is #3 allowed to be in the Nationwide Series?

Excuse me, but why is #3 allowed to be in the Nationwide Series?
Old 22 Apr 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3063412)   #2
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The number is owned by RCR. They choose to use it on Austin Dillion. Childress has already said that he may us it again in Cup.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3063559)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might be worth noting also that Austin Dillon is Richard Childress' grandson.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 23:59 (Ref:3063942)   #4
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Earnhardt#.233_Car

I find this dissapointing. I was always under the impression NASCAR aquired the number back and effectivly retired it.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 01:05 (Ref:3063963)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, the owners effectively own the rights to the numbers and when Richard Childress is ready to put it back on track no matter the series, it his rightful decision to do so.

NASCAR has never retired a number prior to Dale's death and I don't ever see them doing so. However, you don't see a 45 or a 28 these days, and I believe that is a sign of respect for Davey/Kenny and Adam, but again it just depends on who owns the rights to certain numbers.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3064334)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post

I find this dissapointing. I was always under the impression NASCAR aquired the number back and effectivly retired it.

#3 was Richard Childress' number during his career he and picked that to as that was Junior Johnson's number. The Dillions wanted to use that number to honor their Grandfather. I like that Childress still owns that number much more than if Nascar did.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3064335)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Yep, the owners effectively own the rights to the numbers and when Richard Childress is ready to put it back on track no matter the series, it his rightful decision to do so.

NASCAR has never retired a number prior to Dale's death and I don't ever see them doing so. However, you don't see a 45 or a 28 these days, and I believe that is a sign of respect for Davey/Kenny and Adam, but again it just depends on who owns the rights to certain numbers.
RYR still owns the #28 and used that number as long as they were racing. Same thing with the #45, the King owns it.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3064383)   #8
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the teams do "own" the numbers; I believe that NASCAR licenses them out to the teams. Teams may request that particular numbers be issued to them.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3065164)   #9
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Yes, technically, the only thing owned by the car owner is the design of the number. That is always copywritten or trademarked. However, the current holder of the number has the option to continue to use that number. Until they give it up, it's theirs. In other words, they've got dibs. That's what Theresa (sp?) Earnhardt did to Jr. a few years back.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3065334)   #10
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Yes, technically, the only thing owned by the car owner is the design of the number. That is always copywritten or trademarked. However, the current holder of the number has the option to continue to use that number. Until they give it up, it's theirs. In other words, they've got dibs. That's what Theresa (sp?) Earnhardt did to Jr. a few years back.
What exactly constitutes "giving it up"? Not entering a car with that number in a race? In a season? Saying they won't use it anymore?
Old 26 Apr 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3065828)   #11
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If he's going to put it on his grandson, wow, you couldn't come up with a better way to get a large number of the fans to automatically hate him.

Quote:
I don't think the teams do "own" the numbers; I believe that NASCAR licenses them out to the teams. Teams may request that particular numbers be issued to them.
Yes. When Stewart rebranded Haas CNC into Stewart Haas, Ryan Newman's number was originally going to be #4. The longtime entrants of the 4 car, Morgan-McClure who were not heavily active at the time but still attempting to be in the series, raised a stink about it, so Stewart to get rid of the unneeded publicity acquiesced to Morgan-McClure and changed Newman's number to #39. When Kahne got #4 with Red Bull a year ago, Morgan-McClure was definitely dead. Or look at when Junior went to Hendrick they tried to get the #8 from DEI but DEI refused to give it up so Junior and Hendrick had 88 so Junior's fans only had to add one extra number to their tattoos (and now there's no #8 in the series).
Old 28 May 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3080618)   #12
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post

That was the impression I'd got, after all, #3 became possibly the most historic race car number after DE Snr.
Old 28 May 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3080624)   #13
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsportaddict View Post
That was the impression I'd got, after all, #3 became possibly the most historic race car number after DE Snr.
Not even close! That would be Petty Enterprises' #43. Check out the number of wins....
Old 7 Jun 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3086888)   #14
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I see, it's just a number. Dale used a lot of different numbers in his career. They should use it if they want to.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 06:06 (Ref:3091756)   #15
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About numbers, fwiw, I've always thought it was odd in Nascar that No1 was allowed to be used by someone other than the defending champ. Not a criticism.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3091784)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Rossi never used #1 when champ in MotoGP - stuck with his reknowned # like NASCAR drivers... Understand what your saying though, #1 should be kept for the champion from the previous years!
So hand it back Ganassi
Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3091851)   #17
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
And Rossi never used #1 when champ in MotoGP
It's different with Rossi. If Rossi wanted to, he could've had no1. For whatever reason, he has a thing for 46. In Nascar, you're allocated a number and that's it.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3091871)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I am presuming NASCAR think they are the World Series of motorpsort wo rules that apply to other forms of racing probably get overlooked!

Its a franchsie the end of the day and you are not gonna constantly change the number of your franchsie as it keeps spnsors and fans happy.

Its differnt in bike racing where number choice is usually utterly personal, most riders have a fave number, some keep them all career, some chop and change.

I know for a fact that HRC wanted Rossi to have a number 1, but its in his contract I imagine
Old 19 Jun 2012, 02:37 (Ref:3094522)   #19
GAMEOFGUTS21
Rookie

United States
Dallas, TX
GAMEOFGUTS21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still don't understand the #3 thing in NASCAR, either. All excuses aside.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3094894)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOFGUTS21 View Post
How can you not understand complete devotion to a number?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3094902)   #21
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
For most of his career, in the popular perception Earnhardt was the embodiment of evil, the Dark Side.

His death was the greatest career move ever made by any NASCAR driver.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3094990)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How can you not understand complete devotion to a number?
Are this Paul Teutul Sr and his son Mikey?

BTW Congrats to Junior for his first victory in a very long time.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3095186)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOFGUTS21 View Post
It's like the 27 with Villeneuve, the 5 with Mansell, 43 with Petty, the 14 with Foyt and the 1 with Schumacher. They're iconic.

And old Earnhardt was genuinely one of a kind. I remember feeling chills up my spine watching big Dale at the back of the pack in that ugly black beast readying for a charge with twenty laps to go. When he was in form you could nearly see the leaders tremble always with one eye on that black car. He was also a bit of an antidote to Jeff Gordon. It's not an unnatural thing the attachment to the 3.

It looks like young Dillon will bring the 3 back to Cup. He'll probably need to be pretty quick straight off to avoid the fan backlash if he is the one to bring back the 3.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 06:45 (Ref:3096237)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
the only number retired in NASCAR competition is the 61 in the whelen modified tour...out of respect for richie evans.