Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jan 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3193315)   #51
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
As von Bismarck once said, "Politics is the art of the possible". Principles don't matter.

That's why it won't happen and it was stupid to suggest it in the first place.
Politics is certainly the art of the possible and Warwick's impossible views could be the opening shot in a negotiation strategy that could result in the BRDC being accommodated partially and in a way that is compatible with the amount invested in athletes that compete in other sports. It could be a private-public partnership fund-matching arrangement. They could rope the driver into some roadsafety campaign for the schools. Maybe they could help facilitate a Justin Wilson kind of deal. I dunno; maybe a blend of all three options. It might just go to supporting drivers facilities. My point is there's a wide range of 'smart' options and funding strategies that could be considered. Warwick would be stupid for not asking the question.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3193317)   #52
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UK sport has very limited fund, however they are so limited that they have significantly refused, and even totally cut, funding to some sports.
As an example, basketball, the worlds second most popular participation sport, has had its funding totally cut, even though the UK national team has improved its world ranking exponentially over the last few years.
As much as I love Motorsport, I feel that funding from UK sport would be better spent in other sports.
However, there could be valid arguments for funding to improve the coaching and support structures of the sport.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 17:55 (Ref:3193325)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Warwick is though.

So I guess we agree!
If you re-read what I wrote earlier I said this previously.

I only took exception to your post having a go at Warwick. Which it didn't. When I disagree with someone I don't need to have a go at their character. Not that you did.

Old 23 Jan 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3193344)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

I would say the prohibitive costs and the highly speculative nature of talentspotting would result in a refusal for public funds in relation to drivers. That all comes in with the detail but in principle there's no reason pro-drivers shouldn't be treated like any other pro-athletes.
I agree.

It won't happen of course.

But as a former member of Racing for Britain, yes, I agree.....
Old 23 Jan 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3193349)   #55
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But as a former member of Racing for Britain, yes, I agree.....
Still have my RFB membership card here!!

In these days of easy crowd funding that's the sort of scheme that should be investigated.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3193446)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ask for this, don't get any cash from the government, but you get some breaks with planning and other incentives. We'll see, and then talk politics.

Maybe Del Boy has learnt some tricks from Bernie. Listen to the story about the Brabham contract in the Motorsport podcast.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3198174)   #57
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've got an idea, and I bet this would get government approval...

Before petitioning Parliament for a handout of taxpayer funds from the public purse for his new driver scheme why doesn't Warwick first pass the hat around his own members who have benefited so much from tax-except status by living abroad over the years?

Let's think. There's currently Hamilton, Button, DiResta, Coulthard, along with JYS and Mansell who might chip in along with former President Damon who escaped to Ireland for a few years and of course Warwick himself who seemed to enjoy the air in the Channel Islands once the paycheques started rolling in....

Seriously, I've never heard such a crass idea from the BRDC in my life. Warwick is delusional and is harming the very image of the sport by opening his mouth in this way.
I don't blame F1 drivers for living in tax exile havens. Wouldn't you if you were happy to leave the UK officially? It's not as though they necessarily spend much time here using our services.

Can we reconcile the idea of their tax status and funding for young drivers? Aren't they separate ends of the scale? My problem with arts and sports funding is where do you draw the line? F1 draws its own line by being too expensive.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3198196)   #58
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
When it comes to drivers living outside the UK for tax purposes, I'm with the great jurist Lord Clyde:

"No man in the country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel in his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue."
Old 2 Feb 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3198204)   #59
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't blame F1 drivers for living in tax exile havens. Wouldn't you if you were happy to leave the UK officially? It's not as though they necessarily spend much time here using our services.

Can we reconcile the idea of their tax status and funding for young drivers? Aren't they separate ends of the scale? My problem with arts and sports funding is where do you draw the line? F1 draws its own line by being too expensive.
I didn't say I blamed them for being tax exiles (and no I wouldn't join them) I said I thought it was crass for their representative to suggest that the rest of us (UK tax payers) should fund their scheme to find the next generation of potential UK tax exiles.

Quite a different scenario.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3198208)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
When it comes to drivers living outside the UK for tax purposes, I'm with the great jurist Lord Clyde:

"No man in the country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel in his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue."
I love that quote.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3198213)   #61
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post

Trendy though it is to quote the wealthy Scottish peer Lord Clyde to support any tax avoiding scheme these days I would rather quote the rather more down to earth Mandy Rice-Davies in reply and simply say "He would, wouldn't he?"

Although I doubt even Clyde would support the current ridiculous situation regarding tax evasion and avoidance today.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3198214)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hey Berndfan, you're trendy! I hope that makes me trendy as well for agreeing!
Old 7 Feb 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3200522)   #63
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Trendy though it is to quote the wealthy Scottish peer Lord Clyde to support any tax avoiding scheme these days I would rather quote the rather more down to earth Mandy Rice-Davies in reply and simply say "He would, wouldn't he?"

Although I doubt even Clyde would support the current ridiculous situation regarding tax evasion and avoidance today.
Depends what's in it for him.