Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2436286)   #76
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rirl View Post
17 isn't a bad number. I really thought it'd be less!
Entries are aparently good for Libre, FF and Histerics. I believe that saloon libre, Globals and Legends are struggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rirl
Never thought of wearing orange overalls before but after seeing your post, I thought I'd certainly do this... but then realised I'm babysitting all weekend. I'll do it before the season is out - thats my new years resolution (from today). As a driver it'd be interesting to see it from a marshalls point of view!
Are you talking about blagging your way in at the gate or doing some marshalling?

If you do marshal, stay clear of Burnsie as he has a habit of falling down rabbit holes and you dont want to get caught up in that now do you?
Old 7 Apr 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2436296)   #77
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Entries are aparently good for Libre, FF and Histerics. I believe that saloon libre, Globals and Legends are struggling.
I wonder how many Legends will be out during the season. Its a bad time to be starting a new class. There were only 3 out for the first Mondello meeting this year and (from what I'm told) two of them refused to race on the back of the Historics grid. They wanted their own race. Philip Kershaw did race and seemed to get thru the grid pretty well after starting from the back. It'll be hard for Mondello to justify 3 races for the Legends as appears on the race card!

Quote:
Are you talking about blagging your way in at the gate or doing some marshalling?
I actually meant that I'd try marshall!!! Regarding blagging into a meeting... we all know people that will leave your name at the gate... and failing that... well I'm not giving away any secrets... except to say that it works at all tracks... Mondello, Kirky, Silverstone, Donnington, Brands, etc... never failed us yet!
Old 8 Apr 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2436593)   #78
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anyone got a list of entries they could post up?
Old 8 Apr 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2436611)   #79
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Has anyone got a list of entries they could post up?
This is from memory so I may miss someone.

M Roche
P Dunne
P Dwyer
S Mullins
K Fildes
D McNamara
G McKenna
E Heary
G Graham
P Heavey
R Cumming
D Nolan
P Casey

Alan Kessie won't be out. Not sure about Dan.

I'm missing four people, cant remember who!

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 8 Apr 2009 at 11:19. Reason: Remembered someone!
Old 8 Apr 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2436764)   #80
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eamon Matheson?
Old 8 Apr 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2436789)   #81
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Eamon Matheson?
He wasn't on the list that I heard about but thats not to say he wont turn up.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2439669)   #82
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great show yesterday lads, well done. What we lacked in quantity was more than made up for in quality. Hopefully we'll get more cars out during the season. Dan and Ken were mighty but the Sylvie Mullins/Gould - Judd combo is just awesome. I couldn't believe the way he just drove by Dan on the straight but I guess he has 300+ extra horsepower. We should get those Euroboss guys back and kick their you know whats. The Gould is obviously like a tank too because Ron Cumming gave it a proper smack the second race at the start (how's Ron's wrist, he was holding it when he was walking away from the car?)

What's the latest on Dan's Ilmor project? Also, have to say, Dan's spare Lola done in the early 90's Lotus livery looked very smart in the paddock.

Slightly off topic but that was a very slickly run meeting yesterday and the Marshals did their usual tremendous job. Well done all.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2439710)   #83
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter: When I said I'd make you an espresso if you came off at Turn 3.... I WAS KIDDING!!!!!
Old 13 Apr 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2439975)   #84
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mondello was running ahead of time on Sunday yet they still opened the gates to let everyone go home before the last Libre race, surely the wait wouldn't of killed anybody and the paddock wouldn't of looked even more deserted than it already was, afterall it was a pretty good race.

Looks like the cheque books will have to come out if anybody wants to beat Mullins in a straight line anyways.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:03 (Ref:2440205)   #85
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Peter: When I said I'd make you an espresso if you came off at Turn 3.... I WAS KIDDING!!!!!
I'm still waiting for it too
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2440210)   #86
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm still waiting for it too
Well you did pick a crappy place to park your yoke! Next time pull off in a safe position, beside the armco rather than leave it somewhere I a) Have to run to, and b) Have to get towed out.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2440212)   #87
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Well you did pick a crappy place to park your yoke! Next time pull off in a safe position, beside the armco rather than leave it somewhere I a) Have to run to...
Sorry Grant. Next time the brake fluid boils and locks the fronts, I'll try and pick a better place!

I must say that as you were running towards me with extingusher in hand, I felt a tiny amount of guilt about your shoulder, but that soon passed!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2440225)   #88
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Sorry Grant. Next time the brake fluid boils and locks the fronts, I'll try and pick a better place!
Yes, please do!

Quote:
I must say that as you were running towards me with extingusher in hand, I felt a tiny amount of guilt about your shoulder, but that soon passed!
Well if it's any consolation the workout helped the muscles at the time but I was locked solid the next morning!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2440565)   #89
marcius_kellius
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
marcius_kellius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOBER11 View Post
Mondello was running ahead of time on Sunday yet they still opened the gates to let everyone go home before the last Libre race, surely the wait wouldn't of killed anybody and the paddock wouldn't of looked even more deserted than it already was, afterall it was a pretty good race.
The reason the gate was opened was because we were doing recoveries out on circuit and there was a gap for us to let traffic out. We were also told that Dan Daly was waiting on a part and to hold off from starting the race as long as possible. If the gate is opened, that doesn't mean that you have to leave!!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2440880)   #90
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Agreed Mark. Have to say again, that was one of the best organised race meetings I've been at in many a long time. One race finished, the other race came out and formed up straight away (once other cars were swept away of course!). It was refreshing. I was home at 5 pm which is something that hasn't happened for a long time.

One general gripe and I've mentioned this before, and it's more a Mondello thing than any club, the grid markings are awful so it takes an age to set people up on the grid. Can this not be addressed? Grid numbers would be good - I don't think there are any, someone can correct me. If you qualified say 7th, you just drive into your numbered grid slot instead of hanging about until the flag man lines you up.

Also, something I noticed which caused me to use some colourful language I'd have preferred my 7 year old son not to hear but I got such a fright, the safety car in the 2nd Libre race almost caused an almighty pile up because he waited at the end of (and pretty much in) the pitlane before pulling out in front of Daly/Fildes/Mullins who all had the presence of mind to miss each other. The speed differential was frightening. When the SC is deployed, why wait at the end of the pitlane? Get you to the first corner - the competitors have all the straight to see you and your flashing lights and know where you are instead of seeing the SC sign and wondering where you are and if you're suddenly going to appear out of the pit lane thus creating confusion and danger.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2440905)   #91
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Agreed Mark. Have to say again, that was one of the best organised race meetings I've been at in many a long time. One race finished, the other race came out and formed up straight away (once other cars were swept away of course!). It was refreshing. I was home at 5 pm which is something that hasn't happened for a long time.
A little too fast in the turnaround, I hardly had time to make an espresso!

Quote:
Get you to the first corner - the competitors have all the straight to see you and your flashing lights and know where you are instead of seeing the SC sign and wondering where you are and if you're suddenly going to appear out of the pit lane thus creating confusion and danger.
Actually, under the bridge is the best place, anywhere further down and a single seater can't actually SEE into the first corner until they reach the bridge.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2440910)   #92
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an opportunity to kick some Euroboss ass at Brands May 30/31 on the Indy circuit I imagine the tight and twisty nature may suit some of your cars.......
Old 15 Apr 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2441069)   #93
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Actually, under the bridge is the best place, anywhere further down and a single seater can't actually SEE into the first corner until they reach the bridge.
Good point but actually get the SC out onto the circuit under the bridge. You might not have been able to see from turn 2 (was that you in the cowboy hat?) but he literally waited at the end of the pitlane before pulling out when the 3 boys came thundering down the straight. Not sure who drives the SC but maybe an experienced retired driver with racing experience would help, the likes of John Keaney for example.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2441124)   #94
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
You might not have been able to see from turn 2 (was that you in the cowboy hat?)
Nah, I was on turn 3, it was Nigel in the cowboy hat.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2441248)   #95
marcius_kellius
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
One general gripe and I've mentioned this before, and it's more a Mondello thing than any club, the grid markings are awful so it takes an age to set people up on the grid. Can this not be addressed? Grid numbers would be good - I don't think there are any, someone can correct me. If you qualified say 7th, you just drive into your numbered grid slot instead of hanging about until the flag man lines you up..
This is a request that has been put into Mondello a number of times

Quote:
Also, something I noticed which caused me to use some colourful language I'd have preferred my 7 year old son not to hear but I got such a fright, the safety car in the 2nd Libre race almost caused an almighty pile up because he waited at the end of (and pretty much in) the pitlane before pulling out in front of Daly/Fildes/Mullins who all had the presence of mind to miss each other. The speed differential was frightening. When the SC is deployed, why wait at the end of the pitlane? Get you to the first corner - the competitors have all the straight to see you and your flashing lights and know where you are instead of seeing the SC sign and wondering where you are and if you're suddenly going to appear out of the pit lane thus creating confusion and danger.
I used some colourful language myself in the control tower when this happened. The SC driver did not place the car in the correct position and then stalled it!!!. The stewards were not happy with this I can tell you. The positioning, manning and operation of the SC are to be on the Agenda for the next Race Committee meeting. It's next week so will let you all know what the outcome is.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2441255)   #96
marcius_kellius
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
A little too fast in the turnaround, I hardly had time to make an espresso!
Ha Ha, from my own perspective, I thought the day that was in it being Easter Sunday, that people would want to be finished as early as possible and get home to crack open their creme eggs!!!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2441260)   #97
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcius_kellius View Post
The positioning, manning and operation of the SC are to be on the Agenda for the next Race Committee meeting. It's next week so will let you all know what the outcome is.
Have to admit that the manning of the SC appears to be very "ad-hoc", aren't the crew supposed to be strapped in the car with helmets on until the race has reached 75% distance? In my mind, if you're down to do a job on the circuit then do it properly. I'm sure there would be plenty of complaints if the marshals and flaggers just decided it was fine to wander off post and then scramble around for flags etc. when there was an incident.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2441264)   #98
marcius_kellius
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Graz / Grant,

Not sure if you noticed that most of the Libre cars were running with the Leinster Motor Club sticker somewhere amongst their livery. The club have agreed with the drivers to run a mini championship for our meetings, which was last sunday, Anglesey and the Leinster Trophy in September. Points are being awarded for finishing positions and the driver with the most points at our race meetings is awarded the Leinster Leader Trophy, which was first awarded back in 1968, with primarily top single seater names on it from the Atlantics etc. The club have also agreed to put up prize money, which will be anounced further on in the year.
In Anglesey, to spice things up a bit, we are working on some kind of Super Pole shoot-out for the top 8/10 from qualifying. Once it has has been decided I will let you all know what the format is.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2441272)   #99
marcius_kellius
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Have to admit that the manning of the SC appears to be very "ad-hoc", aren't the crew supposed to be strapped in the car with helmets on until the race has reached 75% distance? In my mind, if you're down to do a job on the circuit then do it properly. I'm sure there would be plenty of complaints if the marshals and flaggers just decided it was fine to wander off post and then scramble around for flags etc. when there was an incident.
Totally agree with you Grant. It's the type of job that someone will only do once a year and at that, normally it is a very boring job, sitting around all day and then suddenly you get a shout to scramble. I had a hard time trying to find a SC driver for the weekend, but it still ended up being a very experienced driver with over 30 years racing behind him. There does not seem to be any requirement for helmets to be worn, but yes the car is idling in pit-lane until 75% distance. At no stage during the races were the SC driver or observer wandering around, I can assure you of that.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2441287)   #100
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcius_kellius View Post
At no stage during the races were the SC driver or observer wandering around, I can assure you of that.
Sorry, my comments were not specifically related to Easter Sundays meeting as I was down on Turn 3, but I've certainly seen plenty of situations where the SC crew are nowhere near the vehicle when it's been required.