Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Apr 2002, 02:55 (Ref:256915)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Hands Up Everyone............

.........who remembers me predicting thatJPM will be driving for Ferrari next year. Well, it seems I am not the only one who thinks so.
Quote:
Although Schumacher is under contract until the end of the 2004 season, it is though that the German could walk away from his role in the team if he secures his fifth world championship this season, leaving the door open for Montoya to take up where he left off. However, if Michael fails to secure title number five then the report claims the duo will be driving side by side in 2003 after all, something Juan has already stated will ever happen.

"We believe that Michael Schumacher will not see out his contract if he wins the World Drivers title a fifth time,” a source was quoted as saying. “He would then retire from motor racing and Montoya would take his place."
I have quoted verbatim from F1-Live, and I admit I cannot understand the last sentence in the first para. However, the logic is there, because if MSch does not win the WDC, then I believe that JPM and not Ralf will. If that is the case, JPM could end up being contracted as lead driver for Ferrari, and MSch will retire. And if MSch wins the WDC, he could give F1 away, as there are no more mountains to climb, nor will there be any incentive to swerve.

Old 11 Apr 2002, 03:47 (Ref:256930)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But JPM has vehemently stated that he DOES NOT want to drive for Ferrari. He is a Williams man.

However, if offered with undisputed number one status at Ferrari, perhaps it will change his mind.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 04:20 (Ref:256941)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I think what JPM said was that he would not consider being MSch's team mate, because of his perception of Rubens' dilemma, not to mention Eddie's previous position as #2.
However, we are no longer talking about someone to be #2 to MSch, we are talking about someone to take over the mantle of lead driver for Ferrari. This is a totally different ball game. AND No!! I don't think Rubens will be considered for that position.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 04:33 (Ref:256942)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point. But IMO JPM will want to win the WDC with Williams first. He's loved by the entire team, and he no doubt enjoys driving for them.

IF a Ferrari contract did appear, I'm sure he'd consider it though....
Old 11 Apr 2002, 05:41 (Ref:256955)   #5
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be nice.....but like the honda engine being new and having more power to it.....I dont really beleive it
So happy journalist trying to fill up his news colum with this story...giving the fans what they want to read, but if it will fan out......dont think it will

Williams have an option on JPM for next year....and I dont see them letting him go to Ferrari, why would they...now the following year...all options are open to JPM

Ans as for MS retirering after his 5th championship...that would only tie the record and not break it....so MS will only think of retirement after he has broken the record.....
Old 11 Apr 2002, 05:57 (Ref:256959)   #6
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think pigs will fly before we see montoya being TFG's teamate next year.
i cant believe some of you are actually thinking that he would go there
Old 11 Apr 2002, 06:09 (Ref:256966)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one would want TGF to break Senna's pole record and i would definitely think that he would not stop competing even after winning the 5th WDC title. The man has potential to break all records...so why stop!

Williams would be crazy not to offer JPM for an extension on his contract and considering the amount being paid between JPM and Ralf..i'd figure JPM could always ask for an equal amount.

It'll be the same line up in Williams whereas Ferari will have Massa filling in Rubens place and Button sticking with Renault.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 06:16 (Ref:256974)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
It's just a gut feeling, like I had last year for Ethereal for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups, and Rogan Josh in 1999. I get these inexplicable tips from out of nowhere.
And I only have one bet - WIN

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 11 Apr 2002 at 06:17.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 07:05 (Ref:256983)   #9
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think JPM is so loyal to Frank Williams. Montoya considered him to be a star before entering F1. MSch has grown up with Benneton but it didn't stop him to accept Ferraries proposal. To be no 1 in Ferrari i offer they can't refuse.
But it will not happend untill MSch left autosport.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 09:32 (Ref:257052)   #10
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Jukebox that TGF won't retire if he grabs fifth WDC - there is more records to brake.
On the other hand, I wonder what is TGF's real status in Ferarri. That is - is he No1 'coz Todt, Brawn and Co. love him beyond reason, or beacuse of his undoubtfull driving skills. If it's the second, and if JPM does win WDC this year, than he might get an offer from Ferarri to drive on equal terms with Michael.
I know JPM said he won't go to Ferarri, but is there any driver who wouldn't take a chance to beat TGF in the same equipment and therefore go straight to legend?
Old 11 Apr 2002, 10:43 (Ref:257096)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by ljakse

I know JPM said he won't go to Ferarri, but is there any driver who wouldn't take a chance to beat TGF in the same equipment and therefore go straight to legend?
Of course there is also the possibility that if Ferrari lost the WDC to a Williams driver this year, they might not like to see the experience repeated next year.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 10:47 (Ref:257101)   #12
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce

Of course there is also the possibility that if Ferrari lost the WDC to a Williams driver this year, they might not like to see the experience repeated next year.
That's exactly what I meant when I said that I wanna know what is the nature of Ferarri's 'love' towards TGF.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 11:53 (Ref:257176)   #13
Crank Case
Racer

Crank Case should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought JPM had quite a long contract with Frank Williams
Old 11 Apr 2002, 12:03 (Ref:257189)   #14
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hands Up Everyone............

Quote:
And if MSch wins the WDC, he could give F1 away, as there are no more mountains to climb, nor will there be any incentive to swerve.

An interesting variation on this theme which has been proposed by others is the MS wins his WDC and decides to get the next one the hard way. (1) He retires. (2) He buys Sauber (3) He signs a partnership agreement with VW. (4) He hires himself as #1 driver. (5) He tries for another WDC in his own car.

I think he has enough ego and cash to give it a try.

Old 11 Apr 2002, 12:47 (Ref:257222)   #15
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Michael wins the title this year for the 5th [damn!] time...it wont be surprising to see him accept Juan Pablo as team mate. Infact he'll be saying it in public, that he wouldnt mind Montoya in the other red-car.

but as you all know it, Juan wont accept the seat...fearing the sagas of the Eddies, the Herberts the Barrys etc.

Result? Schumacher wins another mindgame over the already psyched Montoya.

On a different note, I hope Jacques gets the Trulli or Button seat...Renault is gettin better without a champ, which is no point!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 13:43 (Ref:257258)   #16
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that Ferrari are really worried that M Schu will win another WDC then call it quits. If that's the case, the Schumacher haters everywhere should be rooting for him to win again so he can retire early. Ralf and Juan should just move over for him at every opportunity, and look forward to next year.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 13:45 (Ref:257260)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All good reasons, but we must not forget the man before the driver. TGF is getting into the age, where family and the risks involving racing, start to bother more than never. Remember Monza last year, after Zanardi's crash. If he retires after his 5th WDC, he will be the more successfull driver in all F1 history, and he has a lifetime job at Ferrari, if he will.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:09 (Ref:257290)   #18
Daytona Donald
Rookie

Daytona Donald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's about time ferrari looked to the future for when tgf retires, but would jpm really want to go there, if, ross brawn, rory byrne and jean todt all deciede to leave aswell (when their respective contracts expire!) could ferrari possibly go back to being the team they were pre-96?
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:13 (Ref:257297)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
We'll see how big an influence they all were once they leave. Basically, they are the nexus of the team.

Ferrari will not be a place to be post-TGF/Todt/Brawn etc
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:27 (Ref:257325)   #20
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hands Up Everyone............

Quote:
.........who remembers me predicting thatJPM will be driving for Ferrari next year.

Yep, you have been very vocal about this for a while now and I have been one that just hopes that Juan stays at least 2 more years with Williams, give them 2 world Championships while battling Michael and then go to Ferrari and fulfill his Ferrari dreams.

But in this F1 world we never really know . . . .

next year?
with Michael? without Michael?

with one World Champioship under his belt?
Old 11 Apr 2002, 15:57 (Ref:257363)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, JPM will stay where he is only if the pay is right. Ferrari and Williams can both with the title. Ferrari looks better this year but they are at their peak, Williams are still on the rise. The way things are looking Williams will have a title in at least the next two years. Ferrari's new car did not look that impressive in the last race but that was its fitst race so who know about that. The only way I see JPM there is if MS leaves. He is in a great position at Williams. He is where JV was hoping he would be at BAR. He is on a team that is making rapid movement in the right direction. Williams needs to improve its aero efficiency. When that is done. I believe JPM will win the title. If he has sense he will stay there.

Then again there is the subject of money...
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:15 (Ref:257369)   #22
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said 2 years ago that Shu most likely will be leavin' F1 in 2 years, i said last start of last year that Monty should leave Williams for Ferrari.....but now i think he would be better off stayin' where he is.
And how can i type if i have my hands up?
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:20 (Ref:257372)   #23
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by J.McClane

And how can i type if i have my hands up?
looks like you managed.
I won't ask how though . . . . .
Old 11 Apr 2002, 17:31 (Ref:257415)   #24
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds unlikely, but you never know... I think ITV quoted JPM as saying that his dream has always been to drive for Williams rather than Ferrari, and I don't blame him!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 11 Apr 2002, 18:18 (Ref:257443)   #25
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There have been newspaper reports that Juan Pablo could be your subsitute when you retire from Ferrari. In your point of view is he the right driver for Ferrari?

MS: First of all I don't intend to retire. I have made this comment very often. But your problem is if one newspaper as a joke writes it everybody is following that story and has to write about it because it seems to be the most interesting story. I am not intending to retire so there is no point in looking any further. I think Jean Todt answered this very clearly this morning. He is obviously very fast but there are 22 other Formula One drivers who are also fast. Sure there is one better than the others and that one is doing a very good job.
Who do you think TGF is talking about in that last sentence?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"