Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 22 May 2002, 15:59 (Ref:292719)   #1
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New wheels ?

Yet another question from Team Rover - I am thinking of investing in a new set of wheels - size wise they will have to be 16" and a width of around 10 inches to accomadate my slicks....so anybody got any recommendations or heard of good deals around at the moment please ?
Old 23 May 2002, 08:23 (Ref:293265)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My recommendation re wheels is to go for round ones - they tend to make driving more comfortable
Old 23 May 2002, 10:54 (Ref:293379)   #3
Slowcoach
Racer

Thanks Jos - sound advice indeed, I shan't bother using my old squares again, save for testing..........
Old 23 May 2002, 11:16 (Ref:293404)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got some Minilite replicas for a reasonable price. Call Ken Clarke (you've got his number), and he can put you in touch.
Old 23 May 2002, 14:21 (Ref:293616)   #5
Slowcoach
Racer

Thanks PM I'll give him a buzz.
Old 24 May 2002, 10:24 (Ref:294599)   #6
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think your problem is going to be getting 10" wide 16's!

We needed a set of 8" 15's and the only sensible choice is Compomotive. They manufactured a custom set of offsets and stud pattern for about a £100 each. Compomotive are direct at http://www.comp.co.uk/ or 01902 311499.

BTW I know marketing is a con but I did think that wheels produced by Superlite would be somewhere approximating a lightweight wheel. <bzzzt> Superlite wheels weighed more than the original road going alloys on my old Sunbeam....
Old 24 May 2002, 10:38 (Ref:294613)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They weigh about the same as the Compomotive alloys I used to run.
Minilites were light when they were magnesium but I believe we can't run mag alloys anymore.
Old 24 May 2002, 10:42 (Ref:294618)   #8
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi SC - Try Mike Barnbey engineering in Medway (01634 711801) He makes part split rims, I replaced my outer Revolution rims from him, nice guy, good prices. Don't know if he will be able to supply what you want.
BTW - the nice thing about square wheels is they give you a damn good excuse for poor traction...
Old 24 May 2002, 13:45 (Ref:294955)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Slowcoach. You might want to check the regs but I think split rims are banned in the CTCRC. Don't know why though.
Old 24 May 2002, 14:27 (Ref:295037)   #10
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
odd they ban um!
i like dymag's wheels the most, nice and light.

remember to get the right offset... or if buying new wheels, you have the opportunity to change the offset to perhaps help the under/over steer at one end of the car.
might be worth measureing the total width of the car, might be able to get more/less offset for more grip!
Old 27 May 2002, 10:10 (Ref:297274)   #11
Slowcoach
Racer

Thanks everybody - a few options to test out. I checked the split rim regs and we can run what we like although it would be 'preferred' if possible we run something as near to original - which I will try to do as a 20 year old car with wheels only available for a year or two isn't really what I'm looking for but we'll see what's available, and as we all know, size is an issue..........