Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Sep 2002, 19:46 (Ref:379017)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch to host Rallycross again ?

Autosport reports that Rallycross may be returning to Brands this winter for a one off yearly event !.

Great news for all us sad acts that miss going to the place over the winter months !

Old 12 Sep 2002, 19:59 (Ref:379029)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'll second that. Haven't been 'crossing for ages.

Be interesting to see how they go about restoring the track. There's a lot of newish barriers, particularly down Paddock Hill that will need re-locating.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 21:57 (Ref:379091)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last weekend the commentators mentioned rallycross making a reappearance at Brands - I'd be interested in going.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 23:19 (Ref:379149)   #4
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it was in last week or maybe 2 week old motorsport news that they are relaunching the british gp...
Old 12 Sep 2002, 23:59 (Ref:379177)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds great, as for the barriers, Autosport suggests that they could be temporarily moved, love to see it happen and on a date that I could make it too!

I vaguely remember the old event as a nipper and thoroughly enjoying them!
Old 13 Sep 2002, 00:11 (Ref:379181)   #6
Kev Smith
Rookie

Kev Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British rallycross GP will be at Croft for the next 3 years
Old 13 Sep 2002, 08:05 (Ref:379328)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I marshalled at the last Rallycross GP at Brands, what a brilliant day it was too!

The armco down Paddock Hill wouldn't have to be moved much, if at all in my humble opinion. Hoppy's Drop though might need some work to bring it back to it's old daunting self.
Old 13 Sep 2002, 08:13 (Ref:379335)   #8
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Great news, but please please drop the loop round clearways. That killed the racing. Keep the track short, Hoppy's drop and onto the bottom straight to the crossroads please.

As for the rallycross GP, Brands have made it quite clear that is not what they want. The event of that name can stay with them up North. We'd just have a one off event (annually) guess it would be a rallycross GP in all but name.
Old 13 Sep 2002, 08:25 (Ref:379344)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree about that awful loop AL, it ruined the circuit for me.
Old 13 Sep 2002, 08:36 (Ref:379351)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I went regularly to the GP at Brands and it was a great event. I would love to go back as there is not much racing to see at that time of year. Although I remember one year that you could not see past the end of your nose due to the dense fog. I think the meeting was abandoned eventually
Old 13 Sep 2002, 08:40 (Ref:379353)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think they ran the qualifying as one car on the track at a time, then as you say, the meeting was abandoned later as it was unsafe to race due to the fog. Shame huh Mal?
Old 13 Sep 2002, 11:35 (Ref:379493)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I think they ran the qualifying as one car on the track at a time, then as you say, the meeting was abandoned later as it was unsafe to race due to the fog. Shame huh Mal?
Hmm, the foggy one (90 or 91?)

A man who is now a common tater and I were on post 8 for that one. Due to the fog the finish line was repositioned just after 8 heading toward 7. We had to wave the yellows to slow them so that they did't
(a)drive back to 6 and meet the next runner
(b)slow down and not hit those that had already completed a run - we bunched them up in 4s? before sending them back

Crazy as it sounds, both of us stood on the grass and I remember murph nearly having some intimacy with Schanke

Started as 1 at a time and progressed to 2 at a time - we sussed that out purely by the engine notes - we still could'nt see the ridge.

Don't think it was actually abandoned, the results may just have been based on a flying lap.
Old 13 Sep 2002, 13:35 (Ref:379613)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news, and i agree, get rid of the loop around clearways, and get hoppy's drop back.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 18:39 (Ref:383615)   #14
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A return of rallycross to the circuit would be a dream come true. I was lucky enough to witness all the Rallycross GPs from 82 onwards and have to say they were the best motor-racing meetings Ive ever seen. I agree with losing the loop and using hoppies drop again, thats vital to the success of the circuit. One thing I must mention is that I follow rallycross news very close and Ive heard nothing about this,Croft have got a 3 year contract for the GP, so I suppose it will be watch this space.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 21:08 (Ref:385549)   #15
pauldavid
Racer

pauldavid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but can you really see octogon allowing rallycross at Brands. lets face it they seem hell bent on turning Brands into a corperate playground,if peoples comments are to be beleived . I hope and pray that it turns into reality but do American companies really understand rally cross, they have yet to come to grips with the World rally championship. They make too much money from corporate events during the winter and are getting so much expense from Silverstone will they risk spending more at Brands for one or two winter meetings. However saying that Lyden is looking very dodgy so maybee theres a deal to be done?.
Now you could say i am not the biggest fan of Octogon and yes you would be damn right for my own reasons. I would love to know what the general feeling is, from spectators and Racers. i know there was some debate at the start of the season, maybee its time for a forum debate, now the season is drawing to a close.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 07:02 (Ref:385728)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands could Make money out of a one off Rally Cross event every year . Spectators will bring in extra revenue during the winter months when they dont normally hold any spectator events .
Old 22 Sep 2002, 11:54 (Ref:385834)   #17
pauldavid
Racer

pauldavid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is true but will it be like most other events at Brands, the only people who attend will be those of us who are "in the know" or so to speak. Lets face it the press and publicity department are not exactly renown for getting events publicised, unless of course it's corporate thing. Which i for one do not mind at all, for in my opinion the best events from a spectators point of view is without any doubt the two day BEMSEE - MRO events, but please d'ont tell anyone as it's spectator heaven you have acres of room all to yourself.