Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jan 2003, 18:03 (Ref:478329)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Major teams may boycott Aus GP

As we have already discussed the new rules have not gone well with some of the major players, according to F1 Live, the major car maker backed teams may 'take their ball back' until they get their own way......I'm sure this is all hot air, but looks like a sign of things to come.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

Car manufacturers thinking of boycott?
Because of new FIA regulations [18/01/03 - 07:00]

With only seven weeks until the first race of the 2003 F1 Championship season, there is a possibility that the five major manufacturers may decide to boycott the Australian race in retaliation to the newly instigated rules and regulations by the FIA.

According to BMW, DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes), Ferrari, Jaguar (Ford) and Renault, the new innovations put into play by Max Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone are impossible to implement in such a short timeframe and nor do they believe that they will provide any more suspense, or help to reduce the horrendous costs involved.

The meeting by the Technical Working Group on Friday was aimed at determining just what changes can be implemented before the season opener and what needed to be delayed, however they only agree on some very minor changes and not for 2003 at all. Mercedes were far from happy about the situation with Norbert Haug warning there could be problems come March the ninth….

“If the teams are unable to implement these rule changes, there will be a major problem come Melbourne,” Haug was quoted as saying in the Swiss press.

Max Mosley is unconcerned by any threat that the major manufacturers could pull out of the series, the FIA President daring them to go right ahead….

“If a manufacturer doesn't like the changes, then that is OK. And if a big manufacturer aims at retreating from Formula One for this reason, then that is OK too,” he told the Guardian. “We gain more through the change of the rules, than what we lose through the retreat of the manufacturers.”

If the big five go ahead with a boycott, only British American Racing, Toyota, Sauber, Minardi and Jordan, who ironically have just been bailed out by Bernie Ecclestone to ensure their presence in Australia, would be left to contest the season opener at the Albert Park circuit, so it is highly unlikely that this would eventuate

Last edited by Super Tourer; 18 Jan 2003 at 18:04.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 18:05 (Ref:478331)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Nah, they won't.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 19:10 (Ref:478351)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
If it means that there is a chance these silly new rules wont be implemented, I hope they do pull out... Good for them!
Old 18 Jan 2003, 19:22 (Ref:478353)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If this was to happen then that would mean that the team bosses don't speak to their engine suppliers. The team bosses all agreed to it in the first place.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 19:28 (Ref:478357)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they do but they won't, would be interesting to really see how good the rest of the teams are compared to each other
Old 18 Jan 2003, 20:32 (Ref:478390)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even if they did pull out the field wouldn't be much smaller than last year after lap 1!
Old 18 Jan 2003, 20:43 (Ref:478399)   #7
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It shows that the factories have organized themselves pretty well during the last couple of months. They seem to be pulling together, ganging up against the FIA. A good thing in my view. The FIA turns out to be quite dictorial. Just read Max' reaction to threat of strike. He seems to think the factories need Formula 1 harder than F1 needs the factories. If he really thinks that, GPWC could be one hell of a wakeup call for Max.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 20:43 (Ref:478401)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It won't happen.

Inigo, are you insane!? Perhaps you're a little worried of your man getting some fair competition for once .
Old 18 Jan 2003, 20:53 (Ref:478415)   #9
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they do pull out, it's gonna be SUCH an interesting race... what chance a Minardi podium, or whatever, perhaps BAR and Sauber getting a head start on the other teams...

Of course the only reason why Jaguar is complaining is to draw attention away from the fact that they'll be dire
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 18 Jan 2003, 21:04 (Ref:478430)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 is bigger than any team or manufacturer on that grid. The idea of F1 is that it's meant to be around forever, not just the next several years like many of the manufacturers will be.

Max Mosley can hardly start saying that it's terrible they may go, it'd just make Mercedes, Fords, Ferrari's, BMW's and Renaults heads even bigger.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 21:37 (Ref:478453)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they do boycott it will be the most interesting F1 race in years!! I am for it... yeah go ahead in fact skip the first two races.

I dont agree with some of the rules either but I think if they drop out it will hurt the teams more than F1.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 21:55 (Ref:478471)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish it would happen, but I know it wont...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Jan 2003, 22:09 (Ref:478476)   #13
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
F1 is bigger than any team or manufacturer on that grid. The idea of F1 is that it's meant to be around forever, not just the next several years like many of the manufacturers will be.

Max Mosley can hardly start saying that it's terrible they may go, it'd just make Mercedes, Fords, Ferrari's, BMW's and Renaults heads even bigger.
In each sport, the competitors make the game. If the factories leave and start their own series, F1 will be stuck with privateers and therefor can no longer claim to be the pinnacle of the sport. It will be a 'lower' class.

And why will F1 be arond forever? It started back in 1950. The mere fact that has been around for awhile doesn't mean it is here to stay.

Perhaps its time to take a step back en reconsider the balance between technical aspect and the racing aspect. With todays format, F1 can not do without the technical bits and pieces, and it will always be a factoryteam which leads the way in that sense of the word.

So yes, F1 needs factoryteams. Do factoryteams need F1? No. As we see, they could be setting up their own series.

Or let me put in another way: the factoryteams don't need the FIA. And neither do I. The only thing I ask for is a decent raceseries. Either provided by the FIA or GPWC, I really couldn't care less.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 22:15 (Ref:478482)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shades of 1983 ??????????........BERNIE sorted it all out then , maybe its time for him to earn his money again ?
Old 18 Jan 2003, 22:22 (Ref:478489)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
It won't happen.

Inigo, are you insane!? Perhaps you're a little worried of your man getting some fair competition for once .

Naah, not insane. I just think Bernie and Mad Max went too far in their attempts to dumb down F1.

My man? Fisichella? He's had nothing but fair competition his whole career. What he hasn't had is a good drive.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 22:42 (Ref:478513)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Interesting point if the manufacturers boycott the race - only two teams will have engines: Honda and Toyota.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 22:47 (Ref:478516)   #17
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Shades of 1983 ??????????........BERNIE sorted it all out then , maybe its time for him to earn his money again ? "
Ahhh,no bernie didn't sort it out then-he started it!
But he was on the 'good' side back then...
I too am all for it,if they do pull out.But i think the pull out is not a real threat by the manufacturers at all-it's just speculation by the website that first wrote it.
It WOULD be an interesting race wouldn't it ,without half the grid...LOL.Yep i too think minardi may make the podium(cheeky grin because i have no idea how to activate the faces)
Old 18 Jan 2003, 22:50 (Ref:478519)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
In each sport, the competitors make the game. If the factories leave and start their own series, F1 will be stuck with privateers and therefor can no longer claim to be the pinnacle of the sport. It will be a 'lower' class.

And why will F1 be arond forever? It started back in 1950. The mere fact that has been around for awhile doesn't mean it is here to stay.

What I was trying to say is that the manufacturers come and go, and F1 can't let them dictate what happens. I know you can't ignore the manufacturers and need to let them have their say, but one day soon they will up sticks and leave F1, and it'll be left with a bunch of regulations that no new manufacturers can afford.

Also, wouldn't the teams who miss Australia be in line for a massive fine?
Old 18 Jan 2003, 23:03 (Ref:478534)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
What I was trying to say is that the manufacturers come and go, and F1 can't let them dictate what happens. I know you can't ignore the manufacturers and need to let them have their say, but one day soon they will up sticks and leave F1, and it'll be left with a bunch of regulations that no new manufacturers can afford.

Also, wouldn't the teams who miss Australia be in line for a massive fine?
Manufacturers come and go? Not all of them! What about Ferrari? Ford has been there almost the whole time too!

And when these teams up sticks and leave, as you put it, THEN will be the time to change the rules. Right now, its dominated by the big manufacturers. Take away Renault Ferrari Honda Ford BMW Toyota and Merc, and you have nothing but a few empty chassis lying on the grid...

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 18 Jan 2003 at 23:04.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 23:36 (Ref:478577)   #20
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Interesting point if the manufacturers boycott the race - only two teams will have engines: Honda and Toyota.
Yay! 75% chance of a podium for Villeneuve!
Old 18 Jan 2003, 23:52 (Ref:478595)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Minardi could likely get their European engines running in a hurry if need be
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:06 (Ref:478600)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Last edited by ASCII Man; 19 Jan 2003 at 00:08.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:13 (Ref:478609)   #23
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wont happen....I wonder if Mark Webber has an old Kart he can drive in his home GP!!!!.....would probably still qualify ahead of Minardi!!
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:36 (Ref:478630)   #24
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie

Like the entire CART and IRL fields of privateers?

This is a quite incorrect assumption. For the record, "Privateers" such as Williams and McLaren, will always be around in one form or another.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:39 (Ref:478634)   #25
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Major teams may boycott Aus GP

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

If the big five go ahead with a boycott, only British American Racing, Toyota, Sauber, Minardi and Jordan will remain for the race.

Alrighhhhhhhht go ahead u guys and give Jacques the WDC!