Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Jan 2004, 00:06 (Ref:849707)   #1
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lady Wigram Trophy in NZ

Hi All

The Lady Wigram trophy for F3 is being held at Ruapuna, Christchurch, NZ this weekend.

The results of the first 25 lap race were:

1. James Cressey, 2. Daniel Gaunt, 3. Karl Reindler, 4. Aaron Caratti.

These were the only placings given over the radio sorry

The second race is later today, and the combined points from both races decides the overall winner.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 20:42 (Ref:850232)   #2
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a joke 12 cars.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:08 (Ref:850257)   #3
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi all

Well, I guess that 12 cars is all you can expect considering they don't race here in NZ at any other time apart from this (as far as I am aware). Sorry there haven't been any updates with final results, but they weren't on radio or anything last night.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:15 (Ref:850262)   #4
105octane
Veteran

Thanks Tracy try the aussie f3 site.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:37 (Ref:850283)   #5
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

Finally found some results:

uplifted from www.stuff.co.nz

Kiwis fly at Ruapuna
26 January 2004
By RICHARD KNOWLER

Daniel Gaunt must have thought he was caught in a nightmare when he almost stalled in the second race of the Formula Three race at Ruapuna Park yesterday.

Fortunately Gaunt escaped the grid frenzy unscathed but luck had nothing to do with the way the cool-headed 19-year-old reeled in the field to win the coveted Lady Wigram Trophy.

Gaunt, who finished second in the first 25-lap race yesterday morning behind fellow Aucklander and favourite James Cressey, looked as though he had blown his chances after the dreadful start.

Cressey, who like Gaunt was at the wheel of a Dallara F301, again looked the goods to win after Gaunt was stranded and the other biggest contender, Australian Karl Reindler, spun out in the first corner.

But Gaunt, who had been sitting in pole position, proved he had the ticker for the big time when he fought back from sixth place to hunt Cressey, 19, down and take the title. Reindler was again third.

Afterwards Gaunt admitted he was afraid he had ruined his big moment after also starting badly in the opening race.

"I thought I had blown it again when I bogged the start for the second time," Gaunt said. "I was trying so hard not to stall it that I was cutting in and out of fuel... Obviously when the engine has got no fuel, it tends to die on you. But I managed to clutch it, catch it, get it and go. I was just thinking (about the other cars) don't hit me, don't hit me."

Despite the horror start, Gaunt believed he was still in with a chance to grab a win and proved his confidence was founded by slowly hauling in the six cars ahead of him.

By the fifth lap he was second behind Cressey, engaging in a dogfight which had the lead change several times before a daring move at the top of the front straight had Gaunt secure a lead he never relinquished.

Gaunt won the second race in 33min 19.78sec, almost 10sec ahead of Cressey who opted for the same tyres he used in the first race. "I knew I had enough laps but I wasn't sure I would have enough speed," Gaunt said. "We bolted on new tyres for that race. I can trust James (when having enough room to pass him). He gives me room and I give him room. Some drivers you can't trust but I trust James."

Once he finally established his lead, Gaunt, in his first drive in a Formula Three car, said he was not going to relinquish it.

"I thought that's it. No-one's going to take this from me now."

He rated the victory alongside winning the Australian Formula Four championship in his rookie season last year and now will concentrate on wooing sponsors so he can race in the Aussie Formula Three this year. "This win was so unexpected. I wanted to learn the car and make an impact but I didn't expect to win it."

The news was also good for American Charlie Kimball who grabbed the Formula Ford title in his Van Diemen, winning all three races at the weekend to collect 155 points ahead of Tim Edgell (139) and Chris Pither (134).

Kimball, from California, also raced at Timaru and Invercargill to get experience driving Formula Fords and leaves for Britain today to test drive there. Kimball was lucky to escape a scrape after Pither nudged Edgell during the second lap, forcing him out of the race. Pither was slapped with a drive-through penalty and then another for speeding in the pit lane.

There was little doubt that former New Zealander, Jim Richards who now lives in Melbourne, is still one of the most popular drivers. The veteran proved a demon in the Porsche GT3 class, winning two of the races and finishing second in the other. His crowning moment came when he was forced off the track in the second race to sit last. Despite the setback he fought back to pass 11 cars in the 10-lap race to finish second, drawing a roar from the crowd.

Lady Wigram Formula Three race 1 (25 laps) James Cressey Dallara F301 33:10.35 1, Daniel Gaunt Dallara F301 33:11.15 2, Karl Reindler Dallara F301 33:11.45 3, Aaron Caratti Dallara F301 33: 48.53 4, Ken Habul Dallara F301 34:24.62 5, Bill Maddocks Dallara F396 33:47.59 6, David Borg Dallara F396 33:51.96 7, Bevan Carrick Dallara F398 34:16.51 8, Nic Jordan Dallara F398 DNF, John Boothman Dallara F396 DNF, Heath Eustace Dallara F390 DNF, Michael Navybox Dallara F301 DNF.

Race 2 (25 laps) Gaunt 33:19.78 1, Cressey 33:29.05 2, Reindler 33:29.82 3, Caratti 34:09.58 4, Habul 34:23.45 5, Carrick 33:38.55 6, Maddocks 34:07.45 7, Boothman 34:08.82 8, Navybox 34:04.44 9, Jordan DNF, Eustace DNF, Borg DNF.

Final points Gaunt 38, Cressey 35, Reindler 25
Old 26 Jan 2004, 23:26 (Ref:851723)   #6
rossidude
Rookie

rossidude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just goes to show on the weekend's race. Whos this Gaunt kid? well he's just beat the favorite to win this years f3 title and a highly fancied driver Karl Reindler and also Cressey whos proven he's very quick. Mine you feelow Kiwi Jonny Reid and Occhipinti were reguarly quicker than young Gaunt last year. F3 or F4000 just proves they are both providing very good talent on both sides of the TASMAN
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:16 (Ref:852104)   #7
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope you realise that Mr. Gaunt also had the use of Ruapuna for 10 days straight last season. He bloody well should have won easily, he knows it like the back of his hand!!

Messrs Cressey and Reindler, on the other hand, had not seen the place before last weekend. Nor had many of the others, for that matter.

I wouldn't be placing money on Mr. Gaunt just yet. Not with some of the guys entered for the championship.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 04:12 (Ref:853146)   #8
105octane
Veteran

Cressey has done more laps round Ruapuna than all of that field on the weekend put together,when he was in Formula Fords and the amount of tyres he went through over the weekend he should of dusted the lot of them.
Reindler however points to him as he hasnt even seen the place before very good effort.
On the other hand Gaunt is no superstar hes been very lucky all year just finishing all the races he has been in which i must say to finish first first you must finish so good on him.