Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: BAR are they a force in 04?
Yes- watchout the top 4 here they come 36 45.00%
NAHhh- testing doesnt mean a thing... top 4 are too good 44 55.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Feb 2004, 14:21 (Ref:862734)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can B.A.R keep it up and challenge?

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...03185910.shtml

Taku now breaks Jensons record... so basically my question is can BAR actually do it in the real races... dont forget they are now on Michies which will probably improve their chances.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 14:43 (Ref:862764)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope so, ralfie, but I dont' think they will immediately be at the top four level.
Certainly BAR has never set this kinda lap records in the past, and this surely means an appreciable improvement in performance, but for now I wouldn't emphasize too much the timesheets in this period of testing: IMO they seem to be the only team interested at setting good times.
Good for them in the search of new sponsors, but at this stage of the season it's more useful to use time to test tyres, aerodynamics, reliability etc, elements who are not related to pure speed.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 14:51 (Ref:862770)   #3
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that in a couple of races, they will be able to fight with Ferrari,Williams and McLaren.

And all the other races, they will be able to fight with Renault.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 14:52 (Ref:862771)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There doesn't seem to any doubt now, that both the BAR car, and BOTH of there drivers are ready to challenge the top 4.

Not only are they breaking track records, but the reliability seems to be right-on also, and we all know that was a glaring problem for the team last season. Also taking in the fact that Renault has lost Gascoyne and has a new engine, may give BAR a decent shot at the top 4.

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Feb 2004, 15:03 (Ref:862781)   #5
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First off, I voted no, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to succeed, I just don't think they will.

Who knows if their pace shown in testing will show up on a GP weekend. Even if it does, a team and driver must learn how to win, how to do all the little things necessary throughout the weekend... and based on all the shenanigans that went down in the BAR camp last year, I just don't think they are ready to compete reliably at a top level.

If this pace is real, then maybe they will be able to score a few podiums... or a chance win... but I don't think they will be a team to contend with consistantly throughout the season.

Old 4 Feb 2004, 15:36 (Ref:862817)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
They've shown good pace in testing but I'm not convinced that they'll be able to translate that into good race results. I think they've made a step forwards but don't think they'll have done enough to catch the top 3. They'll be mixing it with the Renaults, Jags, Toyotas and Saubers - the midfield is going to be really tight again. Jordan and Minardi will bring up the rear (although I hope Jordan can get in amongst the midfield regularly).

Good to see Taku going well though, I hope both he and Jenson have a good year.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 15:48 (Ref:862832)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure they will be able to challenge Renault for 4th, but they will be a much improved team from last season and easily hold onto 5th spot in the WCC.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 16:06 (Ref:862859)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted no - but I wouldn't phrase it like that. It's not such a black and white question, and they well pull the odd suprise - just not over the entire season.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 16:09 (Ref:862861)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Good for them in the search of new sponsors, but at this stage of the season it's more useful to use time to test tyres, aerodynamics, reliability etc, elements who are not related to pure speed.
Like they aren't doing those things as well! Why do people have to assume either one extreme of the other? Of course they wouldn't go testing and just do qualifying set-up for days on end!
Old 4 Feb 2004, 16:30 (Ref:862887)   #10
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a couple of one off's from Button and Sato, to enable them to show what the car could do. BAR have very rarely allowed any of their drivers' to go for a low fuel, new tyre qualifying run. The fact they have means we get a good indication of the car's potential. I for one wish them well - they need a morale boost!
Old 4 Feb 2004, 16:53 (Ref:862911)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!

Who knows if their pace shown in testing will show up on a GP weekend. Even if it does, a team and driver must learn how to win, how to do all the little things necessary throughout the weekend... and based on all the shenanigans that went down in the BAR camp last year, I just don't think they are ready to compete reliably at a top level.
I think the source of alot of the shenanigans, left the team last season.

I'm looking for a whole new team attitude this year, motivated, cohesive, and ready to win...
Old 4 Feb 2004, 21:05 (Ref:863139)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that they'll challenge for a top four position overall but i wouldn't be suprised if they managed the occasional podium finish through the season.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 21:29 (Ref:863173)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
I guess Renault are in need of sponsors too because they went pretty fast today too. Are sponsors really that stupid? How can we know testing is not the whole story and the people who spend millions not be able to figure that out.

Its just like BAR said. They need to know where the car is. Thats it! If you dont test the limits you will never know them. That simple...

I will not make a prediction because the other teams could have made a leap too. However, I am feeling positive about the BAR for the first time in years. As usual, I expect the worst but hope for the best! Yes, I want them to finish at least 3rd!!!
Old 4 Feb 2004, 21:51 (Ref:863208)   #14
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richards has proven that he can build a championship winning team in WRC, He has been assembling the right personel they have had a full year to Gel and this is the first year that will not be compromised by the Old BAR setup I voted yes I believe that they can start to worry the top four on th odd occasion this year.

That said I would be surprised to see them challenging for the championship in the next few years
Old 5 Feb 2004, 00:20 (Ref:863435)   #15
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago we talked about the top 3 teams, last year we talked about the top 4, this year I think it will become the top 5. I suspect that Ferrari, Mclaren, and Williams will still be the class of the field, but that Renault and BAR will both be very competative. These five teams will score the great majority of the points which will make it difficult for the remaining teams to get into double digits for their season points total.

BARs move to Michellins, Willis development input, Hondas new engine, and the use of a Honda gearbox should push them at minimum into a strong fight for fourth.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 02:19 (Ref:863534)   #16
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the 1 engine rule will hurt BAR the most IMO
Old 5 Feb 2004, 05:09 (Ref:863621)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jag does not exactly have the best record with motors either. There is little reason to believe Honda will suffer more than others. Their motors have been very reliable lately. Last year only two incidents were blamed on the motor. The motors that blew up in testing were either "near the end of their lives" or the issue has been addressed.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 05:18 (Ref:863624)   #18
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Predicting big year for BAR, which will unfortunately show that Jacques missed the boat big time.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 05:20 (Ref:863628)   #19
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i think reliablility will definately be the key
Old 5 Feb 2004, 08:58 (Ref:863714)   #20
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can see BAR getting a few goood results this season if some races dont run smoothley, an accident at the start, luck with weather/stratergies.
And hopefully a win for Jenson!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:03 (Ref:863901)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On pace I think they'll frequently be fourth, sometimes higher. They have so many things looking good this yerar, and Renault will be affected by having to change engines, and the loss of Gascoyne will affect as the season goes on.

Now that you can't run illegal cars in testing, we know that the times being set are what can be achieved at low-fuel, and the other teams ahve done low-fuel runs without faster times.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:27 (Ref:863932)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If BAR can keep it going, this may happen more often!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=49704
Old 5 Feb 2004, 14:03 (Ref:864072)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Very nice Andrew!

While I certainly would like to see BAR do well this season, I don't really want to see them do THAT well!

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2004, 14:44 (Ref:864105)   #24
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice work, Andrew!

I must admit, this Poll is much closer than I thought it would be... I was sure that more people would think that BAR's preseason form wouldn't hold true once the action is 'for real'...

I'm curious, though, if people are confident of BAR's performance, or if it is indeed Jenson (or Sato) that they are so sure will deliver this season...
Old 5 Feb 2004, 14:57 (Ref:864113)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, it's close, but not the way that poll is put... I think that Toyota + Jag + BAR will put up a nice fight and seriously challenge Renault. I don't think that any of them will seriously trouble Willy-Beemers, McMercs and Ferrari though. Not yet, that is.