Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 May 2004, 16:09 (Ref:975589)   #1
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
saleen fast but fragile

The saleen now some time in service seems to deliver in terms of speed but then again and again fails to make the distance.
Konrad motorsport doing developments on their own (how does this affect homologation?)but then transmission related issues still occur and the startermotorsaga seems to be endless.Can anyone explain why this has to be ?You are obliged to start the engine after each pitstop so it is an area of great importance ,they sure work constantly on this,do they?
Old 19 May 2004, 16:23 (Ref:975604)   #2
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it seems likes theres problems after problems for Konrad. Really, they are building their own cars now, so everything is new. The gearboxes still dont seem to last more than 4 hours. The Driveshafts collapse. And now, the starter motor lockes up. Remember this about the starter motor: The car is a mid-engine. Hockenheim on Sunday was very very hot. The starter motor is most likely a brand new part. ususally, when it gets very hot outside, the starter motor goes out on street cars. Since the car is mid engined, it gets very hot behind the driver. This could have been the case. They probably didnt put much thought into this part before. Now, im sure this will be fixed. Its something so small that kept them from victory! Rules state that you have to shut off the car while in the pits. and you cannot get a "push start". that was the problem last year for the MG Lola's in ALMS. The startanator kept on failing (altinator + starter all in one pack)

Im sure Franz is working very hard to get these cars reliable. It was shown at Magny Cours of what they can achieve.(even with Toni Seiler!)... They have 3 great drivers, and 1 solid single stint driver(Toni).

After Brno, the team will have about a month to work on developments to the cars. I think they will be out testing somewhere. Franz will be gone June 12-13th for the Ring 24hrs at Nordschleife. (he will be driving for a Porsche Team- still TBA)

I dont know how the new developments affect the homologation. The cars are still ACO Spec (Monza 1000K). I really hope Franz brings one car over to the USA for a few ALMS races. I would really like to see him again at Road America!

I think we will see improved relibility starting at Donnington. Hopefully sooner at Brno
Old 19 May 2004, 18:15 (Ref:975713)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who would buy a Saleen at this time, with the LAmborghini, Aston Marting and Maserati on the horizon.

Fast and fragile is no longer good enough to sell cars. You also need the reliability, as the LMP1 teams have found out against Audi.
Old 19 May 2004, 18:23 (Ref:975719)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I've read somewhere that there could be now doubts in the Konrad team to keep on entering Saleens cars...

I hope it won't be confirmed...
Old 19 May 2004, 19:45 (Ref:975797)   #5
19dodge
Veteran

where did you hear that?

im sure he will be entering them throughout the season. maybe next year might be a diffrent story...
Old 19 May 2004, 19:49 (Ref:975801)   #6
19dodge
Veteran

where and when was this article? im sure after their Magny Cours sucess , those plans have changed!

theres no way that Konrad would withdraw from racing saleens! (not at least this year)
Old 19 May 2004, 20:21 (Ref:975828)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are lots of works/semi-works GTS deals knocking around at the moment.

Who knows, he might even return to prototypes!
Old 19 May 2004, 20:23 (Ref:975834)   #8
19dodge
Veteran

yeah i know.. he was rumored to buy a DBA last year, but Creation outbid him. I just dont see it happening
Old 20 May 2004, 03:24 (Ref:976066)   #9
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i had no idea he was in for getting a zytec... interesting stuff
Old 20 May 2004, 06:58 (Ref:976151)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by 19dodge
where and when was this article? im sure after their Magny Cours sucess , those plans have changed!

theres no way that Konrad would withdraw from racing saleens! (not at least this year)
Just rumours mentionned by a french journalist on a french site... can't remember where, but recently...
Old 20 May 2004, 07:53 (Ref:976222)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It wouldnt surprise me to see Konrad with something other than a Saleen . He once told me that his favoured type of car was a prototype . If you look at what he has run over the years ..... he well could !!!
Old 20 May 2004, 12:12 (Ref:976481)   #12
19dodge
Veteran

yes, but if he decided to do this this year, that would make sense. last year, he had 2 saleens's that were un-developed. this year, he has 3 saleens fully developed (1 built by themselves) and 3-4 more chassis's coming this winter. It just doesnt make sense for him to drop everything now. They have really incresed the funding of the saleen programme this year. If you were saying this last year, it would probably make sense. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see konrad go Prototype racing. Its just it wont make sense at the moment. I see them dedicated to the saleen effort for this year, and maybe the next..
Old 20 May 2004, 12:16 (Ref:976488)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I agree , its great to see some money being thrown the Saleen way . I really hope he gets some consistant reliability working . Id love to see Konrad throw a few spanners "at" the works !!!
Old 21 May 2004, 09:01 (Ref:977428)   #14
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oops..Konrad build his own Saleens?I knew he relies on teutonic experise in the differential /Driveshaft area..and has new Hubs and wheel retention,different from the original Saleen stuff.
In Friday practise in hockenheim they were the only Saleens to have a very good setup for the Infield section..
Old 21 May 2004, 12:11 (Ref:977624)   #15
19dodge
Veteran

yes, they started building their own this year. the Vitaphone car is one of those examples. The Yellow one is still an old chassis but heavily upgraded.
Old 21 May 2004, 18:47 (Ref:978025)   #16
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, the Saleen S7R is an extremely fast piece of machinery. For instance, the RML lads have inproved their qualifying pace. Look at Hockenheim positions. But come the race they seem to afflictated with gearbox problems and tyres which have a short supply. Tommy Erdos seems to be the star in the RML car. This guy I'm sure will shortly be on the pace and equalling Bartles, Alzen and Lechner.

PRF