Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Nov 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1142374)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The implications of a Cosworth sale

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13771.html

Excerpt:

"It is believed that there is a year left on the Cosworth-Chevrolet contract but if neither party wishes to continue the deal could be scrapped. That would leave IRL with two Japanese manufacturers and Champ Car with backing from US manufacturer Ford, a situation which would fly in the face of IRL's stated goal of promoting US racing."
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1142406)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That site is speculative at the best of times.

This is speculation.

But you don't miss the chance to have a swipe at IndyCar
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1142408)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Name 3 things over there that don't "fly in the face of the IRL's stated goal of promoting US racing."
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1142416)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jjs, it would appear, even though that story is dated Nov. 1, that it is way behind what's going on.

Here is the exact Autoweek article, page 48, Nov. 1 edition:

No deal

"Champ Car World Series co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven denies rumors he is trying to buy all or part of Cosworth Engineering or Cosworth Race Engines from Ford.

"Kalkhoven and Champ Car president Dick Eidswick have had discussions with Cosworth simply to assess the status of Champ Car's race engine contract with the company, according to Kalkhoven.

"I think those rumors got started because we've been in England for meetings with Cosworth," Kalkhoven said, "simply trying to determine what a sale means to our relationship with Cosworth and our continued supply of engines. We're satisfied that whoever buys the company, our relationship will continue without interruption."

Now, today, online from Autoweek in regard to Chevy:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101113

A poster at another forum says that Chevy owns the Chevworth engine now and will bring it in house for development for '05. That's unconfirmed.

You combine this with the two stories I posted from England on the Kalkhoven-Cosworth thread here regarding the Mansell group bidding for the Jag 1 F1 team AND Cosworth and the story you posted is old information and/or speculation. Why they're behind, I don't know.

Last edited by indycool; 1 Nov 2004 at 22:23.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1142418)   #5
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
That site is speculative at the best of times.

This is speculation.

But you don't miss the chance to have a swipe at IndyCar
I completely disagree with you on grandprix.com being speculative at best. I have followed read them for several years and in my experience most of their rumours are well founded. They have their own reporters and "spies", they don't just read things on internet forums and other websites and repost them in their own words. I consider them one of the best sources of F1 news on the web and occasionally news for other series.

Last edited by jjspierx; 1 Nov 2004 at 22:24.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1142422)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fine. When they catch up on the program, please let us know.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1142436)   #7
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jjspierx, I read the article on grandprix.com. It is dated today, but I am sure that I have seen that exact wording somewhere in the recent week. I am going fishing now.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1142453)   #8
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grandprix.com is, in my experience, by far the best source for information/rumours when it comes to F1. They have real, actual journalists who attend real, actual races, which is rather unique in the world of drivel F1 web sites. However, the journalists there don't seem to have anything like the same level of contacts when it comes to US racing. Lots of their Champ Car/IRL stories are basically taken from other news sites and re-heated.

IMHO
Old 2 Nov 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1142808)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A shame to spoil people's fun, but KK buying Cosworth no longer looks likely - and it was never close to being a done deal the way Grandprix.com reported it. I suspect one of their more pro-CC writers was behind that, looking for a chance to drum up anti-IRL sentiment.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1142860)   #10
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last night on Windtunnel, Robin Miller stated that KK is still in the running to buy Cosworth. He believes that there will be a boardmeeting on Thursday where the bids for Cosworth will be assessed. Despite the "denial" by KK, this story still seems to have legs. I guess we will have to wait until a deal is officially announced.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 14:19 (Ref:1142868)   #11
indycool
Veteran

Mark C. has kinda reversed himself back to KK in the running, too. Made a post at another forum with a wink and a nod on it. Just what KK may or may not be bidding on is unclear. There are actually three Cosworth companies. Cosworth Engineering and Cosworth Race Engines are owned by Ford, purchased from Audi. Cosworth Technology (next door to Cosworth Engineering in the UK) is still owned by Audi. Relationship is also unclear between Cosworth Technology and Cosworth Engineering except to say there IS a relationship of some kind.

Then there's the Brand Synergy/Mansell bid, apparently for the Jag F1 team and the two Cosworth companies owned by Ford. It would seem, if the dollars are right, that the bank negotiating the deal for Ford is negotiating with the Mansell group for a final bid to present.

IMO, it would be pretty dumb for the Mansell group to buy the Jag F1 team without taking the Cosworth companies, too. Then again, they may want the UK Cosworth company for F1 and Kalkhoven wants Torrance. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1142875)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So is Meachachrome no longer a possible player in this???

They were mentioned very early on in the whole news about Ford dumping Cosworth...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Nov 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1142877)   #13
indycool
Veteran

Haven't heard anything about 'em lately, Tim. There was talk that Cheever and Mecachrome were in the hunt somewhere. Someone mentioned originally there were eight interested to start with. Red Bull, per a quote from Helmut Marko that has been widely reported, appears to be "out."