Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 3 Jan 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1494456)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Greatest Coup in Indy History

What do you think was the greatest "coup" in Indy's history?

I'll admit that I'm not much of an historian This is perhaps why I pose the question, but can offer few examples.

Was it the first team to show up without an oilman? The first rear-engined cars? The "ground effects"? Perhaps the Mercedes-pushrod?

I don't know how many of these were kept secret until the 11th-hour, but I'd cast my vote with the engine that Mercedes unveiled in 1994. Only one team had them, and they were a country-mile ahead of anybody else. It not only imuses me that they found such a loophole in the rulesbook, but it amazes me that they built a powerplant so superior, and so reliable, and keep everything absolutely secret for so long.

Last edited by macdaddy; 5 Jan 2006 at 20:37.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 23:38 (Ref:1494467)   #2
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the pushrod Mercedes as it was a clever way of interpreting the rules.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1494484)   #3
ahabthearab
Rookie

ahabthearab should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the Brabham rear engine?
Old 4 Jan 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1494516)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Clark and Lotus?
Old 4 Jan 2006, 03:23 (Ref:1494519)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Granatelli, Andretti and the STP turbine.

After that, the Lotus Invasion!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 07:40 (Ref:1494574)   #6
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
I don't know how many of these were kept secret until the 11th-hour, but I'd cast my vote with the engine that Mercedes unveiled in 1994. Only one team had them, and they were a country-mile ahead of anybody else. It not only imuses me that they found such a loophole in the rulesbook, but it amazes me that they built a powerplant so superior, and so reliable, and keep everything absolutely secret for so long.
Screwed them for the next year, however, where Penske had DNQs.

Salih's lay-down Offy won first time out and the driver retired in Victory Lane. It then won second time out. Then everyone's copies took over - until the rear-engine revolution.