Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 May 2000, 16:00 (Ref:5549)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far Juan Montoya has not finished a single race this season due to spotty reliability from his Toyota-powered Lola. In contrast, Jimmy Vasser has been in contention most every race for victory with the same package. I think that Vasser's exeprience is showing through just a little. He seems to be able to get just a little more out of the package without failures. I think he is better at saving the engine than Montoya is. Vasser admitted during the opening round at Homestead that he was shifting early in an effort to keep the motor together. Montoya has an attack at all costs driving style and I think he will continue to have trouble with failures until he changes his style slightly. The Lola-Toyota is just too fragile yet to take a hyper agressive approach. I hope he can get it together because I think he is a fantastic driver. I wonder how well he would perform in an F1 car knowing that they do not respond well to being super aggressive?
Old 2 May 2000, 16:35 (Ref:5550)   #2
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was trying to withhold forming an opinion until seeing how Juan handled the new package. He reminds me of a young Mario Andretti. Give him a bullit-proof car & no-one can touch him. But if he can blow it up, he will. I think Juan has enourmous talent, but if he doesn't learn how to save his equipement he is going to have real problems. I'm hoping Vasser can teach him some restraint & patience. The points speak vollumes. Montoya=1, Vasser 8 points out of 1st place. (Don't think I'm anti-Montoya, I think he has a lot of potential, I just didn't want to proclaim him the Driver of the Century after only one season/car package as so many wanted to last year)
Old 2 May 2000, 17:11 (Ref:5551)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

when he did f3, he wasn't a rocket, or anything, until he was in equal machinery in f3k. then he was amazing.
i wouldn't like to say, just on the strength of these few races. they haven't been his fault, have they? the car's obviously not pants, because jimmy vasser's driving it to great effect.
a velly interesting topic.
Old 2 May 2000, 22:05 (Ref:5552)   #4
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you can blame JPM for the Rio failure. He was cruising at low fuel settings and was short shifting to conserve the engine and the fuel. The dude was hooked up when his gearbox blew.
I feel bad for Juan , three DNF's in a row when he's running up front.....
Maybe the jinx about sporting the #1 on your car in CART is true. Zanardi is the only driver in recent memory who was able to repeat the Championship with that number on his car.
Mansell won 5 races in 93' and 0 in 94'. Vasser won 4 in 96' and I believe only won 1 in 97'....ect...ect...

[This message has been edited by jamie928 (edited 02 May 2000).]
Old 2 May 2000, 22:42 (Ref:5553)   #5
Lizzerd
Rookie

Lizzerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but think that JPM is "helping" the Toyota do the grenade thing. Last year, the Honda was indestructible, for any team. Sunday, it was actually the shifter linkage that broke, not the gearbox. I don't see how that could be his fault. If JPM had the same "luck" last year, he would have been just another rookie.
Old 3 May 2000, 00:53 (Ref:5554)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lizzerd, when you speak of Honda being indestructable last year, don't look in the direction of My Gil ...

Montoya is like Gilles. He would rather grenade in first place than simper along in fifth. You don't get points like that, but you are racing!
Old 3 May 2000, 08:58 (Ref:5555)   #7
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For as long as the car holds together.

Tags
jpm