Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Aug 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1691907)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Tour Britannia, 5-8 September, 2006 (with photos)

Some drop outs Ideal time to speak to Fred about a late entry.Cadwell ,Oulton,Donnington etc not bad.Where are all those Top Hat road registered cars.Any one got a Lotus 7 Mk3 With Twin cam for sale and then we will have a second car.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1691911)   #2
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tour Britannia 2006

Thanks John!

The entry list can be found here: http://www.tourbritannia.com/entries.aspx?org=tb2006

And the itinerary is here: http://www.tourbritannia.com/itinerary.htm

And, yes, we still have some places available in Touring-Regularity or Competition.

Only 10 days to go so if anyone is interested contact me on Fred@TourBritannia.com

Fred

Last edited by Fred Gallagher; 26 Aug 2006 at 07:31. Reason: wrong contact
Old 26 Aug 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1691969)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think a new thread is called for. So starting with John's post, this is it for all discussion, before, during, and after. I'm much looking forward to reading personal accounts and experiences, and dare I say it, a few pictures as well.

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Aug 2006 at 07:16.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1691972)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fred, I'm assuming that CS17 on thursday, 7th September, in the itinerary, should read Cadwell park. Hope so, anyway, since I might pop up to snatch a few pics of my own!
Old 26 Aug 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1691975)   #5
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Oh dear! Yes of course it's Cadwell. No idea where Caldwell came from. I look forward to seeing you there.

We will post photographs on the site each evening as well as results.

Fred
Old 28 Aug 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1695688)   #6
ClassicRallies
Rookie

ClassicRallies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
featured

Tour Britannia is featured here:

http://www.classicrallies.com/view_event/80
Old 5 Sep 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1702430)   #7
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tour Britannia updates?

Hello ,

Is there any updates on the tour ? I was hoping someone would be posting times etc after races and stages but cannot find anything?

Best regards

daj
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1702473)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
daj, they are on the Tour Britannia website at:-

http://www.nersresults.co.uk/html/20...p/current.html

I'll merge this with the other thread on the subject!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1702738)   #9
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for that john , I was waiting all day for some updates but nothing came up until the day was over , Its a good format though ..was just getting too excited the old man is running a shelby and wanted to know how it was getting on.

daj
Old 6 Sep 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1703793)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Why do I spot these things too late?
Ah well, I'll just have to see what I can find up at Coombe tomorrow...

Tim, in Banbury, with a possible head cold coming for Thursday...
Old 7 Sep 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1704540)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great to meet Fred Gallagher, John Ruston and Gareth Burnett today at Cadwell Park. Lovely setting with some great cars and I'll try to post some pics shortly.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1705491)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The cars entered for the Tour Britannia are split into 2 categories; Touring and Competition. The Touring cars arrived first at Cadwell and lined up in the paddock before leaving for parc ferme where they would be released to play on the circuit! Here they are heading off to PF:-

The John Ruston/Jeremy Haylock Porsche 356 Carrera:-

The Marc Vandendijk/An De Reymaeker AC Ace Bristol:-

Mark Berger/Robert Newton in Bristol 401:-

Anthony & Justine Moody in the Aston Martin DB4GT:-
Old 10 Sep 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1706966)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Martin Sharp and Franca Davenport, in Fred Gallagher's Porsche 356B Super 90:-

David Gracey & Tony Smallman, MGB GT:-

Colin & Amelia Goodwin in Porsche 911S:-

Phillippe Olczyk and Raja Mamhoudy in the Iso Rivolta with a special body which strongly reminded me of the Bizzarini inspired 'breadvan' body fitted to Ferrari competition 250GT 2819GT:-

These 8 were the total of 'Touring' category cars that arrived at Cadwell. I understand that by this time in the Tour a few had dropped by the wayside!
Old 11 Sep 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1708216)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A few more before I move onto the competition category cars. Incidentally, is there anybody out there?

Old 12 Sep 2006, 07:02 (Ref:1708543)   #15
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

I'm still here John! And enjoying the photographs.

Still a bit dazed post event but back at my desk today.

Fred
Old 12 Sep 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1708847)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, Fred, there you are! Hope that you felt that the whole event went well. I certainly enjoyed the ambience of my sojourn at Cadwell. Dare I say that I noted that many of the competitors were as old, if not older than me, so there's hope for me yet!

There were many more cars in the 'competition' class so I'm afraid the following pics will only represent a proportion. The cars lined up in parc ferme with the Porshe 911 of Robi Bernberg and Steve Winter:-

The Charles Reynolds/John Day Alpine Renault, with, in the background the
Michael O'Shea/Colin Blower Fiat Dino Spyder:-

Looking a trifle the worse for wear, the Diego and Sarah Meier Ferrari 275GTB:-

The Peter Mullen/Richard Threlfall Alfa TZ1:-

More later!

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Sep 2006 at 14:05.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1709380)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The Steve and Ian Tandy GTB chased by the Bernberg/Winter Porsche:-

The Bobby Bell/Oliver Harris Austin Healey 100/4, followed by the Evans/Moyes Porsche 911 and the Ferrari shown in the previous post:-

The very quick Austin Healey 3000 Sebring of Eric Wooley and David Smithies:-

Demonstrating roll to an interesting degree, the Fiat Dino Spyder of Michael O'Shea and Colin Bowler:-
Old 13 Sep 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1709588)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The second tranche of competition cars seemed to contain most of the 'heavy metal'; some are lined up here with, in the foreground, the 7.4 litre Corvette of Rob Potter and Jac Nelleman:-

To maintain the yellow theme, here is the Nick Faure and Mary Faure Porsche 3.0RSR. I remember watching Nick racing historic sports cars back in the 1970's! Behind, is the Shelby GT350 of Howard Redhouse (leaving Lotus 30 at home this year!) and Mike Haigh:-

The 911 Carrera RS of Nick and Harry Whale:-

This view not only shows the Cadwell setting but sees the leader, the Chevron B16 of John Grant/Nick Reynolds heading toward the 'Mountain' section whilst half a lap behind, 4 cars dice to avoid being last!:-
Old 15 Sep 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1710874)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And ........ it was really good dice, too, lasting several laps:-

The overall Tour winners were Bruce Stapleton and Alistair Cowin, in the Morgan +8:-

Runner up was the John Sheldon/Lesley Stevens Lotus Elan:-

The Healey 3000 Sebring came 3rd and the Nick Faure Porsche RSR, 4th - both cars featuring in previous posts. Possibly my favourite shot is this one of the Ferrari Daytona of Arnold & Melanie Meier:-
Old 17 Sep 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1712138)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
There seem to be quite a few viewers to this thread, but no contributors! Is there no-one that participated or visited the event during its course that would like to offer their experience of it? In a last attempt to get someone to join me (and Fred) on here, I'm going to post this picture without comment other than to say that there is a good little story behind the acquisition, late entry and preparation of this particular entry which didn't end once the event started :-
Old 1 Oct 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1724275)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John (Ruston), of I tell the viewers that you won the 'Touring' class, can I now persuade you to post the story about the above car which Gareth Burnett drove ..... please?
Old 12 Oct 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1736466)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We will do the story when I get back to base.Two days to rebuild after purchace.Our original B8 idea came to nothing as they have been banned from Italian and Spanish road /rally/race events.We should have lisened to Bobby Bell but the Lotus was quick Chunky would have been pleased
Old 13 Oct 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1736958)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Look forward to it, John, and yes, it was very quick!
Old 4 Jan 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1805842)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The 2007 Tour Britannia event runs from 3-6, Septemeber and entries are already being accepted. Apparently a discount is available to those who get their entries in before March 5th. Tracks to be visited are Brands, Donington, Mallory and Oulton (What, no Cadwell?).

I'll take this opportunity of showing a few more pics from the 2006 event, kindly provided by James Redman and published here with his permission:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
We will do the story when I get back to base.Two days to rebuild after purchace.
I hate to be a nag but ......... ahem!
Old 6 Jan 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1808133)   #25
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

No Cadwell this year, but that's deliberate. We intend to have at least 30% new each year, hence the Brands start, a stage at Longcross and possibly another at Brooklands.

For 2008 we would love to take in the revamped Anglesey circuit and the Great Orme but that's another story.

Fred