Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 26 Aug 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3125053)   #1
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
neck training

hello there guys,

How have you all been? Anyways, I had a race today and realized how unfit I was, especially my neck. The first heat was good, i was setting consistent lap times, although i was around 1-1.5 seconds off the fastest guy. But overall, I was pretty pleased with my performance, considering that I started 18th and finished 12th. Anyways the second heat, my performance dipped a little, especially my neck. Through the fast corners I wasn't able to hold my neck, and in my final heat the problem got a lot worse. I was literally not able to hold my neck up, which resulted in me not being able to look "into" the corner if you know what I mean. This was a real big blow because I made a lot of places during the start, if i'm not mistake I was running around 5th at one point. I really had to slow down my pace, because there was no way I was able to drive fast without being able to look through the corner. So my question is how do you guys, especially guys who race cars that generate a lot of G's train your necks. I know one of my options is more seat time, but unfortunately my budget won't allow for such solution. Also I think you guys should know, that I did end up buying the SOL FIA helmet ( I created a thread about this some time ago), I'm pretty sure that played it's part in my problem. As always, I appreciate your help.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3125096)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
hello there guys,

How have you all been? Anyways, I had a race today and realized how unfit I was, especially my neck. The first heat was good, i was setting consistent lap times, although i was around 1-1.5 seconds off the fastest guy. But overall, I was pretty pleased with my performance, considering that I started 18th and finished 12th. Anyways the second heat, my performance dipped a little, especially my neck. Through the fast corners I wasn't able to hold my neck, and in my final heat the problem got a lot worse. I was literally not able to hold my neck up, which resulted in me not being able to look "into" the corner if you know what I mean. This was a real big blow because I made a lot of places during the start, if i'm not mistake I was running around 5th at one point. I really had to slow down my pace, because there was no way I was able to drive fast without being able to look through the corner. So my question is how do you guys, especially guys who race cars that generate a lot of G's train your necks. I know one of my options is more seat time, but unfortunately my budget won't allow for such solution. Also I think you guys should know, that I did end up buying the SOL FIA helmet ( I created a thread about this some time ago), I'm pretty sure that played it's part in my problem. As always, I appreciate your help.
Well I know one way to train your neck is to attach lead weights to the top of your helmet with tape, sit on your sofa while watching tv, and spend some time rotating your head side to side and back to front...it will build up your muscles
Old 26 Aug 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3125097)   #3
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks ascar...
Old 26 Aug 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3125444)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Simple exercise of you trapezius muscles (top of your shoulders up to your neck) helps a lot with this problem. Just grab a couple of appropriate size weights in you hands, stand upright and do an exaggerated shrug your shoulders. Three sets of ten regularly will work wonders.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3127000)   #5
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No argument with the above.
But muscle takes time to build.
Meanwhile, a collar, which will provide some support if properly made.
Many manufacturers to choose from, here's DT's page, merely for example:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/neck-braces
I'd try to find somewhere that sells them and has a range in stock for you to try.

I bought one some time ago when I started to get neck twinges after racing.
Been fine since.
JOhn
Old 6 Sep 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3132119)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting suggestion John, and in fairness I and many others used to use a collar when we started in karting, but then a few stories circulated about how they could cause serious injury and suddenly they went out of favour. At least amongst the crowd I used to race with.

Essentially the "stories" said that wearing a collar removed a lot of flexibility from your neck area. This meant that if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious side impact, instead of your helmet flopping over to one side and hitting your shoulder it would either "slide sideways" on the collar (forcing your neck into an S bend) or "dig into" the collar and be levered upwards (stretching your neck). So, according to the "stories", wearing a collar could turn what might have been a sore neck into a broken neck.

I have no idea if these stories were true or just urban myth, but a lot of people (me included) didn't seem to want to take the risk. Be interested in your opinion.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3132226)   #7
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thnak you for asking, as it has lead me to a little research.

The Leatt Brace is promoted for karting, BMX and similar sports:
http://www.leatt-brace.com/
It has a positive answer from someone signing themselves "Dr.Mark":
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/472...ke-knee-brace/
and from others:
http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/paraplegia/prevention/

I was thinking more of a stiff foam collar, that I first saw around the neck of Damon Hill. It is wedge shaped, thicker at the back, raher than the kart version which is the same all the way around. It is deisgne, of course, for a full-face helmet. Like this:
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p5...duct_info.html

In the medical literature, this study looked at wheel chair users and rear impact: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19882485 but not the use of a neck collar.
But I can find no other other even slightly relevant studies and as usual, "more research is needed".

I can understand the mechanisms that you suggest, but the usual mechanism of neck injury is frontal impact, and neck traction - stretching the neck - is the standard method of protecting the spine and spinal cord from further damage while injuries are assessed. Are sdie impacts comon in karting? IMHO they are rare in circuit racing.

I'll be grateful if any sports doctor/ rally/ circuit medic can offer a better opinion!
John
AFAIK, none of the BMX riders at the Olympics wore neck protection.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3132952)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Just got back from Thruxton and despite my having quite a few "sideways" moments (one at Church!!) I'm happy to report no side-impacts. And yes, I agree that they are quite rare in circuit racing.

Interesting research though. I wonder if officials at any of the major karting circuits have a view on how common and how serious side impacts are.

As for my own experience, well I can only comment they I've not had a significant side impact in 12 years of circuit racing, but had two in 5 years of karting previously. The first was a T-bone, when I span and stopped sideways on the track then someone slammed into the side of me at full speed. The second was a sideways tyre wall splat when I fell off the track in the wet and simply didn't slow down on the grass before hitting the tyre wall. Both left me with a very sore neck and ribs (from the seat edge), but I honestly can't remember if I was wearing a neck brace or not.