Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Aug 2002, 21:59 (Ref:362447)   #26
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh yeah! We had the Leyburn Sprints up here on the weekend, and it was sensational! All manner of cars racing, from the earliest historics to late model rocketships. The population grows from a couple of hundred to about 10,000 for the weekend- sensational for the area, and what's best- it rained on both days
Old 21 Aug 2002, 13:54 (Ref:362971)   #27
andylynn
Rookie

andylynn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey crash test, how are things in my home town.Been out to Willowbank lately?I had to move just before the new track opened.How is it? We had the round the houses in Albany WA a few weeks ago,great stuff. Never knew a mini could fly, and I mean at least six feet of the ground after hitting the curb.They close the main and other streets down and we all sit at the local and watch the racing live and you are no further than about six feet from the track at any point all the way around the circuit and best of all it's free. Can't do that at any V8 round.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 23:57 (Ref:363304)   #28
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I live out there at QR- out there most weekends, and to be honest, the place is growing on me. Not the best layout int he world, but it does proivde some great racing, and not too much carnage...

As far as street sprints are concerned, we have Leyburn, Gatton, Pittsworth, Lowood (up until this year), Noosa Hillclimb, and on September 21/22, Speed on Tweed. There are more being considered, I've heard a whisper about a sprint around Mt Cootha- imagine that!
Old 22 Aug 2002, 00:17 (Ref:363311)   #29
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jiminee
I am actually studying to be a Mechanical Engineer (almost finished) so they technical side of racing appeals to me as much as saying 'the first 20 cars qualified with 1 sec of each.'
You would probably also be interested in, or know of, Formula SAE held the past two years, and this year, in December.

Designed by the Society of Automotive engineers to let University Engineering students show what they can do in designing and building a scale open wheel race race.

Unfortunately looks like SA wasn't represented last year, although all other states, plus US and UK teams were. IN the US there are over 100 entries and I believe the European version is getting that was as well.

http://www.sae-a.com.au/SAE_formula.htm is the official Australian site if you want more info.

If you want a slightly lowere level, why not come over to Murray Bridge on September 21 and 22 for a 24 hour race involving 180 Human Powered Vehicles - now THAT is grass roots racing!
Old 22 Aug 2002, 00:19 (Ref:363313)   #30
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Oh yeah! We had the Leyburn Sprints up here on the weekend, and it was sensational! All manner of cars racing, from the earliest historics to late model rocketships. The population grows from a couple of hundred to about 10,000 for the weekend- sensational for the area, and what's best- it rained on both days
Any idea why times/results aren't being made available for the Leyburn Sprints???
Old 22 Aug 2002, 03:17 (Ref:363370)   #31
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
No idea- they have a website, but I don't have it in here atm. The timekeepers did up an excel spreadsheet, which I waited around for at the end for a print out of.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 04:13 (Ref:363383)   #32
RaceTime
Veteran

So who did the timing for the event?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 05:23 (Ref:363396)   #33
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The population grows from a couple of hundred to about 10,000 for the weekend- sensational for the area, and what's best- it rained on both days
Hey Crash, you should use the generally accepted AVESCO counting system, you probably had closer to 50,000!

Old 22 Aug 2002, 07:03 (Ref:363439)   #34
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Pepsi- I could have sworn there were 100,000 there, but I did have my eyes closed for most of the time

If we counted the local Roo population, we might get close... there was an announcement on Saturday evening when we were leaving "watch out for the roos..." Pfffftttt....

Driving along, "oh look! a roo!"... 5 mins later- "wow two more roos", "and some more!" Then came the big bugger sitting in the middle of the road! "ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!" We would have missed it by an inch... all in all, 12 live roos on the way home, 7 dead ones

http://www.leyburnmotorsprints.com.au/

Bob and local guys did the timing.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 07:17 (Ref:363446)   #35
PEPSI
Racer

Quote:
Pepsi- I could have sworn there were 100,000 there, but I did have my eyes closed for most of the time

If we counted the local Roo population, we might get close... there was an announcement on Saturday evening when we were leaving "watch out for the roos..." Pfffftttt....

Driving along, "oh look! a roo!"... 5 mins later- "wow two more roos", "and some more!" Then came the big bugger sitting in the middle of the road! "ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!" We would have missed it by an inch... all in all, 12 live roos on the way home, 7 dead ones

You only got SEVEN!

Goes to show that you did have your eyes closed!

Last edited by PEPSI; 22 Aug 2002 at 07:19.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 07:20 (Ref:363447)   #36
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Nono, they were the pre-kills, Cletus the slack jawed yokel was stopping and scooping them up into his ute

Also coming home, there was something crawling across the road- when we got closer- holy shoot- an echidna! Now that's something different!
Old 22 Aug 2002, 07:31 (Ref:363451)   #37
PEPSI
Racer

Quote:
Nono, they were the pre-kills, Cletus the slack jawed yokel was stopping and scooping them up into his ute

Also coming home, there was something crawling across the road- when we got closer- holy shoot- an echidna! Now that's something different!
Are you sure it wasn't Tony Cochrane with all those 'pricks'? Cause they say that no one could be that silly with only one!